Chicken is suddenly getting agressive

Quepea

Hatching
Feb 9, 2021
Hey all,

I have a white-capped black polish Pullet that I have been taking care of after finding it in the backyard.
This said chicken has suddenly gotten a more aggressive personality and is now running up to me and my family and starts to peck at the foot and legs.

I was just wondering if I should be concerned about anything and/or any ideas to try to stop this behavior.

Thanks in advance

Sometimes polish can have 'quirky' personalities. How well can she see? One of our British tailed araucana pullets (they have crests) can't see well directly in front of her and she's quite pecky because she gets startled easily.

Chickens that are very tame will often peck at you too because your clothes are interesting and your toes look interesting - it's how they explore the world. It can hurt but they don't understand that.

Her "Hair" is a bit weird compared to what she had before.
The right-hand side doesn't have any feathers blocking it but I think overall her vision is fine.

I just found it weird because before she would run to the door and try perch on my shoulder and now she runs up and starts pecking.
Hopefully it's just a phase :hmm

Hey all,

I have a white-capped black polish Pullet that I have been taking care of after finding it in the backyard.
This said chicken has suddenly gotten a more aggressive personality and is now running up to me and my family and starts to peck at the foot and legs.

I was just wondering if I should be concerned about anything and/or any ideas to try to stop this behavior.

Thanks in advance
To me this sounds as if she is begging for food/treats and for attention.

I asked others for their opinion in this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-identifying-gender.1444061/

I'm not 100% sure, to be honest but I was convinced since the majority said it was
I'd agree with the masses, that indeed looks like a little lady! I'd also tend to agree with @LaFleche and @JaeG Polish aren't known to be terribly aggressive, but they are... quirky. Would you be able to grab a quick video when you're out with her next? (You have to upload to YouTube and post the link) It will help us get a better idea of her body language if we can see it

I'd agree with the masses, that indeed looks like a little lady! I'd also tend to agree with @LaFleche and @JaeG Polish aren't known to be terribly aggressive, but they are... quirky. Would you be able to grab a quick video when you're out with her next? (You have to upload to YouTube and post the link) It will help us get a better idea of her body language if we can see it

Hopefully, that link works. My sister took a video chasing my mom yesterday.

She seems to have calmed down today when I went out so maybe as LaFleche said it just wanted attention/treats.

Thanks again for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom