Chicken is wheezing, severe frostbite, What should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coles FreshEggs, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    I have a 16 Month old Hubbard Golden Comet. I was collecting the eggs earlier, and her condition caught my eye. She has severe frostbite on her comb, nearly 1/3 blue; she is wheezing and making other strange noises, almost like a cough; and she seems very week and sick. I have 3 flocks of 100 hens each. I am an NPIP Certified and state inspected farm (I know I'm disease free). However if there is a disease, I need to know immediately. For now the hen was placed in the brooder barn underneath a heat lamp and a gallon waterer and fresh crumble feed. Please don't send me to go get something, as right now the roads are undrivable and we are being instructed to stay of the roads (Nor'easter). If anyone had any idea about what I can do with normal household supplies, please let me know!

2. The blue comb can be a sign of poor health rather than frostbite--if circulation is poor, the comb will be blue, looking as if frostbitten. But I don't know how to tell if she is sick or not--I'm sorry! Hopefully someone more experienced posts!

3. Coles FreshEggs

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Thank you, I just checked on her and she's doing a lot better. The blue in her comb completely went away, and she is very lively. I think it may have been a slight case of chicken hypothermia? Who knows! I'll keep her separated for the night anyways.

5. Coles FreshEggs

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Yes I am keeping her separated, but she's enjoying the solitude it appears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by