chicken jail

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cryptkeeper, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Cryptkeeper

Cryptkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I recently got my ladies 10 RIR and 1 Ameraucana. All came from the same farm but completely different pens(RIR in one and Amer. in another) And they definitely have the gang/mob mentality. I only have one run and coop Run=10x8 and coop 10x9.5. At night i let them be together and all is wel during the day The 10 gang up the poor Amer. Right now i rotate them every hour or so between the coop and run(food in coop and water is in the run) and for 2 hours of the day I put the Amer. inside a dog cage inside the coop when I open the pop door for them to do as they please. Should I Put the 8 younger RIR in the dog cage instead( they are the main offenders) And let the older 27week RIRs be with the Ameraucana?
    Any help PLEASE. I know they are going to establish a pecking order, but the poor girl doesnt get a break with out me doing as I am?!.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

From my experience Easter Eggers (and Ameraucanas) are very docile when faced with that Rhode Island Red bloodmix (I had Golden Sex Links which are a RIR cross). I actually got rid of my GSLs and kept my EEs because they wouldn't let my EEs eat a long time ago (don't have them now).

So, I'd say it might be pinless peeper time (chicken blinders) if 10 are ganging up on your poor girl. That is bad news to see the ganging up thing.

Or sell your Ameraucana??? Separate run/coop? Maybe they would accept her if given time seeing her through the fence. But with my chickens it actually got worse over time...gang mentality.

It will be a judgement call...I am sure there are many many people who have both EEs and RIRs who have no problem. Chickens are individuals.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. Cryptkeeper

Oct 26, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    She is very docile. hen i hold her she tucks her head under my arm and goes to sleep. She is great.
    For now until given any better advice, and until I can get another temporary run built, I will keep doing as I have been, I really do NOT want to sell her, 2 days and already attached [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

There is still a chance that the others will accept her. [​IMG]

5. peepsquad

peepsquad Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Ocklawaha Florida
    we have 2 americaunas and I'm glad we have 2, at first everyone picked on "wimpy" now it seems the other one has kind of stayed back to keep "wimpy" company. I have found them to be great kept with the smaller ones. They seem happier, and our new peeps, seem to enjoy having them as a roomies, they learn real quick how to climb ladders and such just from watching. I was wondering how likely they are to go broody because they are very gentle with our month old peeps, seems they'd make great moms.

6. Cryptkeeper

Oct 26, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    well it is time for Blu-kote, poor girl has a head wound right on the back of her scalp[​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicken society is cruel - think 'mean girls' at school. Your Ameraucana/EE is visibly and tempermentally different from your RIR. I seriously doubt if they will ever leave her alone. If you had equal numbers of both vaieties it might go easier. There it is - 'Chicken Math' - get more Ameraucana/EE hens. [​IMG]

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Watch for the main bully. My buff got it non stop from 2 asterlorps and I put them in a pet carrier for a day at a time, when they started in again back they went. It took three times but it worked. You cand also put wire across a portion of the pen so she has her own space. We plan on this when our rohde island reds come this spring. We plan on 2 pullets.

9. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Watch for the main bully. My buff got it non stop from 2 asterlorps and I put them in a pet carrier for a day at a time, when they started in again back they went. It took three times but it worked. You cand also put wire across a portion of the pen so she has her own space. We plan on this when our rohde island reds come this spring. We plan on 2 pullets.

10. Cryptkeeper

Oct 26, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I have already gotten an A+ in chicken math, ever since i got these 11 I have been on the look out for more!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by