Chicken Jane- Internal Laying? with Pics

embrown

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Jane is a 2 yo Isa Briown. About 8 wks ago she had a prolapse. Using baths, prep. H, and continually inserting the prolapse, she seemed to get better. We kept her in a small cage, in the complete darkness for about 10 days which forced a molt. About six days into that she got egg bound, and I helped her get the egg out, whole, by soaking her in a bath and easing open the opening with my fingers. The egg remained intact and she went back into her darkiness. For the past 6 weeks or so she has been back in the coop but she has remained separate from the others and they do pester her quite a bit. On Wednesday we found her refusing to come off the perch, she seemed to have lost weight...her keel bone was prominent as were her saddle bones. So, I brought her back inside and put her in the cage but not in the dark. I do not think she has been laying eggs and she just had a recent molt. But, several weeks ago she was out in the yard and we noticed her straining and I went and checked and she seemed to be pooping fine, but her other outlet was very small and there was a hard something there, I eased the opening open and out came a chunk of what seemed to feel like egg yolk but looked like tissue. So, now today, we found her again straining, groaning, and her vent was pulsing. Again she seemed to be able to pooh...although it is runny. She was prolapsing again although it does go mostly back when she is not straining. I noticed that again there was that meaty feeling lumps in the vent area and the egg outlet seemed very tight. I eased my finger in the opening and over time it eased open. Out came the products shown in the pictures. Here is what I want to know.

1. Is this an internal type of laying, where the parts of yolk or egg form but to not gain material/size or is it some sort of internal tissues.
2. If it is an internal lay, what now?.
3. If it is an internal tissues then what?
4. We do not have the heart to cull her, she is my daughter's hen. But, we will if she is suffering.
6. I can I keep her comfortable. I do not mind helping her in these kinds of situations, not do I mind monitoring her well.
8. Is there anything else I can do to help her, or prevent this problem?
0. Is there a better way to care for her?

I thank you all for any advice/help you can give me about this girl. She is very sweet

Beth

28416_jane_passed_these_july_2_2011-cropped.jpg

Poor Chicken Jane.
hugs.gif
I'm not really sure about it being an internal layer, but am certain someone here is. I hope you find out soon, she sounds like a sweetheart of a girl. I too, had a girl named Chicken Jane.

She is quite sweet and does not even seem to mind being separated from the others much. But, I really could use some input from others on this one. I also wanted to add that, her pooh is sort of "runny" and her bottom is always leaking a wet substance that is sometimes like pooh, but not totally like it as it has little smell. We are feeding her yogurt. Grower feed since we do not want her to lay and we would like to put weight back on her. Is that exceptable. She also gets some table scraps like lettuce or some scrambled egg, but that is about it.

I really would like some thoughts. I am afraid that few saw this post as the list was pretty quiet on the holiday weekend.

Those aren't from internal laying. They look like eggs that have been trapped in there for awhile. Watch for signs of egg binding and take the appropriate action if necessary. As long as she's getting rid of stuff just let her be.

So, does that mean that she laid internally or had an egg break inside some time ago and now the pieces of egg are working their way out? Is it not a miracle that she did not get a major infection. I know she has not laid in a week because I have her separated and I just assumed that she had not laid for more than a month as I am only getting about 2-3 eggs from 3 hens and just assumed she was one of the non-layers. I sometimes have seen her in the box and she was in the crouch and making the chortling noise but after a while of checking on her I just shoo her out of the box so others can get in there. Other than the egg I got out whole I have seen no signs of an egg inside of her or that she had laid. Is there something I should do to make sure thise does not happen again? Is there a diet or anything we can do to help her? Is there a way to make sure she does not continue this problem or is it just a case of needing to monitor her many times per day to see if she is straining or having an issue. What is a good procedure for keeping her separated as it definitely seem like the others do not want her and she is content alone, but it is a hastle to keep her in her own cage with separate water and food and to make sure she gets enough exercise but we will do it if necessary. I want to make sure we are treating her humainely, and if possible doing what will help her be better and well. Do chickens manage to work these things out or is there anything we can do to prevent laying at all or does nature simply decide that?

Back
Top Bottom