Chicken jerking head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brandf, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Brandf

Brandf Hatching

Jul 20, 2018
    One of my year old RIR seems sick, it started with her moving her head in a jerky manner, almost as if her head was extremely heavy and she couldnt hold it up. I immediately thought it must be impacted crop but it doesnt seem to be that, now she is very unsteady on her feet as well, as though she is drunk. She is still eating and laying, but just seems to be struggling with these strange moving afflictions. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice, or similar problems? I was wondering whether to try and make her sick to ensure it is not a crop issue.

Chris

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The best thing you could do, is to take a short video of her having those symptoms, and post it to YouTube with a link here. You shouldn’t just make her vomit to check for a crop problem. You can feel of the crop initially to see if it is empty and flat, full, firm or puffy like a balloon. Then recheck it in early morning before that she has eaten or drunk anything. If there is something in her crop, decribe if it is full, firm, doughy, or puffy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: