Chicken just ate paper, bum is looking off...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lula, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Lula

Lula New Egg

Apr 27, 2010
    My chicken was looking like she had some white gooey stuff stuck to her bottom feathers so I went to pick her up and she picked a sheet of paper (post it note size) out of my pocket and swallowed it before I could set her down and grab it. Ugh. Now I am panicked about impacted crop etc etc I did see her eat after this and she is looking fine.

Is there anything I can do to help make sure that this doesn't hurt her?

(not sure if this is a real emergency, it's my first batch of chickens!)

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    i wouldn't worry about it. I have had mine peck at stranger things than that in the backyard and they are fine. As long as she is eating, drinking and pooping normally, I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen mine swallow mice whole. If they can break that down and be fine, I wouldn't think paper would be a problem.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No problem at all. Wait til you drop a box of styrofoam packing peanuts outside....

4. Lula

Lula New Egg

Apr 27, 2010
    Yeh, thanks, so far she is looking just fine. Who would have thought I could panic over a chicken? [​IMG]

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Pff. Styrofoam, carpet, aluminum, dead mice, plastic parts, and cigarettes are a few of the things my chooks have tried to eat. Luckily, I got to them in time to stop them.

Keep watching her. As long as she acts normal, eats normally, and has normal poo I wouldn't worry.

Yeah. I never thought I would have chooks in the house because it is "too cold" outside or they were sick. Boy, was I wrong!

6. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Where else could one read subject lines like "Chicken just ate paper, bum is looking off..." It's a classic

7. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I wouldnt worry. Paper is biodegradable and will likely pass without problems. Watch out for straw-eating, cause it cant be broken up in a chookie's crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by