CHICKEN JUST DISAPPEARED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TinaHail, Mar 8, 2017.

1. TinaHail

TinaHail Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    I have a small chicken named Tushy. I watched her all day and after herding the chickens in and counting. 1 missing. Tushy. What could have happened? I tried help from my mother and father sister and brother! We looked with flashlights and night vision googles. ($500 worth of night vision) She's missing? What happened is my question? She got surly didn't die from a predator!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. [​IMG] Glad your here!
    Sometimes the hens will lay somewhere else besides the nesting boxes. I have had this happen on multiple occasions. It could be a predator. Are they fenced in or free range?

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi Tina

Do not give up hope, Tushy may return.

I have read stories where a chicken gets a scare of some sort and goes into hiding, only to make an appearance again when she feels it is safe, sometimes days later.

Also check in places you would not expect to find a chicken. I read of a chicken which was found behind a fridge where she had run when frightened. Another had got herself tangled in a vine.

I do hope Tushy returns.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope you find her. Maybe if you go out when it's daylight and rattle a treat can or something, she will show up.

5. Were you able to find her?

6. TinaHail

TinaHail Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Sadly we did not find her nor did she return. But we found a decent amount of feathers in the middle of our grass. We buried them and god bless Tushy! (Chicken heaven)

7. HomesteadingCox

HomesteadingCox Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    So sorry to hear that! We had a hen go missing and a duck, this past winter, never found a trace of them. Rip Tushy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by