Chicken just lays down unsteady on her feet.

Graceschicken

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2019
I have a female chicken road island red that in the past 2 weeks has taken ill. She is still drinking and eating but won't stand up and is feeling skinny. I have brought her in the house and have been giving her vetrx and poultry boosters and it just doesn't seem to be helping. I put her back outside with her friends ( I have 9 chickens total) and they won't leave her alone they keep pecking at her. So I brought her back in. She just lays down. We believe she's still having bowel movements. We have seen little bits of them not alot although. We was told she possibly has an egg in her that's stuck? Need help. She's about 3 we believe.

Welcome to BYC.
I am going to ask that this post be moved to the emergency section for you.

Can you move her away from her friends immediately and take a video of her?

I have a female chicken road island red that in the past 2 weeks has taken ill. She is still drinking and eating but won't stand up and is feeling skinny. I have brought her in the house and have been giving her vetrx and poultry boosters and it just doesn't seem to be helping. I put her back outside with her friends ( I have 9 chickens total) and they won't leave her alone they keep pecking at her. So I brought her back in. She just lays down. We believe she's still having bowel movements. We have seen little bits of them not alot although. We was told she possibly has an egg in her that's stuck? Need help. She's about 3 we believe.

If she was eggbound, she would probably have died by now if she's 2 weeks into this- and she would be straining.

Will she eat scrambled egg, tuna ?? Is she emptying her crop every night? Check first thing in the AM.

It's possible she's got either internal or external parasites that are making her weak. You probably would have noticed mites by now, but just in case, look around her vent and under her wings.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Other threads have information about worming - the concern would be she's already weak. That's a judgement call only you can make, if wormer is more of a risk than a potential benefit.

Given her age, another possibility is she's got one of a number of reproductive disorders- laying internally, EYP (egg yolk peritonitis) -- which doesn't have much of a treatment plan, unfortunately, and claims most of our feathered friends somewhere along the line. Does she have ascities (waterbelly)?

If she was eggbound, she would probably have died by now if she's 2 weeks into this- and she would be straining.

Will she eat scrambled egg, tuna ?? Is she emptying her crop every night? Check first thing in the AM.

It's possible she's got either internal or external parasites that are making her weak. You probably would have noticed mites by now, but just in case, look around her vent and under her wings.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Other threads have information about worming - the concern would be she's already weak. That's a judgement call only you can make, if wormer is more of a risk than a potential benefit.

Given her age, another possibility is she's got one of a number of reproductive disorders- laying internally, EYP (egg yolk peritonitis) -- which doesn't have much of a treatment plan, unfortunately, and claims most of our feathered friends somewhere along the line. Does she have ascities (waterbelly)?

I have tried deworming the whole flock about 2 months ago. I haven't tried scrambled eggs or tuna yet. That's good to hear if she was egg bound she would of passed away by now. She is still eating some food. We are feeding her layer food and cracked corn.

Welcome to BYC.

Welcome to BYC.

I moved her back I to the house she's just laying in the dog crate sleeping. Her waddlers are really lite pink along with her cone.

I moved her back I to the house she's just laying in the dog crate sleeping. Her waddlers are really lite pink along with her cone.

I'm glad you've got her back inside. You would have seen a much different set of symptoms if she had been eggbound. Eggs and tuna and other nutrient rich foods can help- eggs especially, and they usually enjoy them. We have to be careful when it comes to the people foods - added salts and that sort of thing that we barely detect.

If she is nearing the end with a reproductive issue (again, the most common thing we lose them to) spoiling her rotten is what I do- they get everything they could want. If there's no sign of mites or lice that could be making her anemic, it's time to keep her comfortable and safe. Perhaps someone else will have other suggestions, but those are the most common causes.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-help-sick-chicken/

I have tried deworming the whole flock about 2 months ago. I haven't tried scrambled eggs or tuna yet. That's good to hear if she was egg bound she would of passed away by now. She is still eating some food. We are feeding her layer food and cracked corn.
Stop the corn.
Wet some of the layer feed and mix it with an egg.

When was the last time you brought new birds home?

Have you bought any new birds recently in the last few months?

Back
Top Bottom