Chicken just lays down unsteady on her feet.

I have a female chicken road island red that in the past 2 weeks has taken ill. She is still drinking and eating but won't stand up and is feeling skinny. I have brought her in the house and have been giving her vetrx and poultry boosters and it just doesn't seem to be helping. I put her back outside with her friends ( I have 9 chickens total) and they won't leave her alone they keep pecking at her. So I brought her back in. She just lays down. We believe she's still having bowel movements. We have seen little bits of them not alot although. We was told she possibly has an egg in her that's stuck? Need help. She's about 3 we believe.

I have tried deworming the whole flock about 2 months ago. I haven't tried scrambled eggs or tuna yet. That's good to hear if she was egg bound she would of passed away by now. She is still eating some food. We are feeding her layer food and cracked corn.
Welcome To BYC
I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Can you post some photos of her and the poop?

She's still eating/drinking, but you aren't sure if she's still pooping?

Have you felt of her abdomen (below the vent between the legs) for any bloat, swelling or feeling of fluid?

You tried deworming a couple of months ago - were you having issues then (were there symptoms that prompted the attempt at deworming)? What dewormer and dosage did you use?

Have you added any new birds to your flock in the last 30 days?

At 3 years of age - is she molting?

Was she laying eggs consistently up until 2 weeks ago when she became ill?

I would try to get her hydrated. A fecal float is a good idea if you have a vet that can perform one. I would check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks (it should be empty after a night of sleeping).

Look forward to more information and photos.

Welcome To BYC
I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

Can you post some photos of her and the poop?

She's still eating/drinking, but you aren't sure if she's still pooping?

Have you felt of her abdomen (below the vent between the legs) for any bloat, swelling or feeling of fluid?

You tried deworming a couple of months ago - were you having issues then (were there symptoms that prompted the attempt at deworming)? What dewormer and dosage did you use?

Have you added any new birds to your flock in the last 30 days?

At 3 years of age - is she molting?

Was she laying eggs consistently up until 2 weeks ago when she became ill?

I would try to get her hydrated. A fecal float is a good idea if you have a vet that can perform one. I would check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks (it should be empty after a night of sleeping).

Look forward to more information and photos.

15756368042628807722961401321987.jpg

Attachments

• 15756368404254423426376538773575.jpg
    15756368404254423426376538773575.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 15756368586427108157497335547050.jpg
    15756368586427108157497335547050.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 11
I sent you some pictures. She hasn't pooped overnight. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I felt her crop and abdomen and I am not feeling anything but bones she's really skinny feeling below her feathers. I dewormed the whole flock cause I was reading to do it every couple of months. I haven't introduce anyone new to them they have all been together for 2+ years. Is this toenail a problem?

I sent you some pictures. She hasn't pooped overnight. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I felt her crop and abdomen and I am not feeling anything but bones she's really skinny feeling below her feathers. I dewormed the whole flock cause I was reading to do it every couple of months. I haven't introduce anyone new to them they have all been together for 2+ years. Is this toenail a problem?
Poor girl, it looks like she's not feeling well:hugs

She did not poop at all last night? I would place some puppy pads in the cage, that way it's easier to see if she's pooping.
When did she last lay an egg?
Not sure about what toenail you are asking about, but that's not something I would worry about at this time.
Still eating/drinking(?) but not eliminating waste is very concerning - she may have a blockage somewhere.
I would give her some poultry vitamins. If she's has not pooped, then I would also give 1tsp of coconut oil or mineral oil to see if that helps move things along. Coconut oil is easier to use imho, you can refrigerate it, then break it into small pieces and have the bird eat it instead of risk aspirating them by giving liquid oil.

Poor girl, it looks like she's not feeling well:hugs

She did not poop at all last night? I would place some puppy pads in the cage, that way it's easier to see if she's pooping.
When did she last lay an egg?
Not sure about what toenail you are asking about, but that's not something I would worry about at this time.
Still eating/drinking(?) but not eliminating waste is very concerning - she may have a blockage somewhere.
I would give her some poultry vitamins. If she's has not pooped, then I would also give 1tsp of coconut oil or mineral oil to see if that helps move things along. Coconut oil is easier to use imho, you can refrigerate it, then break it into small pieces and have the bird eat it instead of risk aspirating them by giving liquid oil.

My daughter said she stopped eating yesterday the food hasn't been touched all night. I cooked her up an egg this morning and she wants to interest in anything she just stands there with her eyes closed. I have coconut oil in with her now like you said. I will get puppy pads today.

This is what's in her cage this morning.

Attachments

• 15756429233646675397079757024683.jpg
    15756429233646675397079757024683.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom