Chicken just lays down unsteady on her feet.

I have contacted them and they really don't know much about chickens. They sent me to this website to see what you all had to say.
If she doesn't get nutrition she will die.
The vet should be able to teach you how to tube feed her but I'm afraid it's just too late.

I highly recommend getting a necropsy so you know, for sure, what the problem is.

Are you in the US?

Have you tried to open her mouth and SLOWLY putting food in the beak? maybe she could eat things if you put them in the beak directly. please pay attention to not doing things that can choke her. you could just say if she eat once you putted feed in mouth. i'm not sure if i'm giving a good advice, what do you think you all? i did it with some hens that wasn't able to eat. it isn't easy for me to say this kind of practical suggestions in another tongue and writing, so wait the opinion of the others to do it ;)
Only alternative is tube feeding....like Kiki said.
i'm really sorry you're dealing with this. :hugs:hugs

Chickens are very good at hiding disease till it's pretty much too late. I have one this morning that sick so will possibly have to put her down tomorrow. :idunno
Chickens carry lots of disease and something's manifest in the bird and they get sick. Stress, cold etc. Are factors in them getting sick.

This is what's in her cage this morning.
1943339-3f3ea7845d9d331cee5d504c58870133.jpg
Welcome to BYC, I am so sorry your hen is sick. :hugs
That poop looks like she is *very* dehydrated and it also looks like she has a bacterial infection, worms, maybe coccidiosis, or some sort of disease. Is a vet an option? If not, what she needs right now more than anything is warmth and fluids. Keeping her in the house is the right thing and it would be best if you could keep her in a room or cage that's 80-85 degrees. Once warm, she should have warmed Gatorade or Pedialyte tube-fed at 10 ml per pound of body weight, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat if crop is clear or mostly clear. Then once again in 2-4 hours. Once warm and hydrated you can give her food. You will also want to address the cause of her weight loss, and that would mean buying some medications.

If a vet is an option I think that would be best, they will be able to give fluids and will have the medications to treat the various things mentioned.

If you want, we can teach you how to tube feed, it's pretty easy on adult chickens.

I appreciate everyone's help today. We ended up putting her to sleep today. At one point today her head fell into her water bowl and she was just laying there with her eyes closed. I couldn't watch her suffer so I decided it was time to put her to sleep. After she was laid to rest we did take a short look at her and found alot of undigested food in her crop. And she was older then we was told when she was given to us they was thinking around 5 years old. She was very skinny and we could feel all of her bones. She has been laid to rest now. Thank you all for your help.

I appreciate everyone's help today. We ended up putting her to sleep today. At one point today her head fell into her water bowl and she was just laying there with her eyes closed. I couldn't watch her suffer so I decided it was time to put her to sleep. After she was laid to rest we did take a short look at her and found alot of undigested food in her crop. And she was older then we was told when she was given to us they was thinking around 5 years old. She was very skinny and we could feel all of her bones. She has been laid to rest now. Thank you all for your help.
I am sorry.
:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom