Chicken Just Sleeping on floor

GavinAyers

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2019
these past couple of days my 4 yr old RIR hen Phoebe has been sleeping on the floor under the roosts. First I thought she couldn’t see the roosts at night so I left the lights on at night for her but she did the same thing. I would be more worried but as soon as I come in the coop to collect eggs at night she gets up eats drinks then pops on the roosts like she’s been there all night??
Any thoughts on what’s going on?
She has grown very nice thick winter floof underneath and stays very warm on cold nights
I check her over and other then a pasty butt which I clipped and washed off I see nothing. maybe just old age and keep an eye on her??

Attachments

• 8AF04B26-9A7B-4577-96E8-2C887807F641.jpeg
    8AF04B26-9A7B-4577-96E8-2C887807F641.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 10
Have you watched at roosting time to see what's going on? Sometimes there's conflict that chickens will decide they'll avoid by sleeping in an out-of-the-way spot. I have a small hen right now that has been trying to sleep in a nest box to avoid the roosting commotion.

If a chicken is behaving normally, eyes bright and alert, pooping normally, and eating okay, chances are she's fine health-wise but may be encountering bullying. That can be addressed and fixed if you can identify the players.

Have you watched at roosting time to see what's going on? Sometimes there's conflict that chickens will decide they'll avoid by sleeping in an out-of-the-way spot. I have a small hen right now that has been trying to sleep in a nest box to avoid the roosting commotion.

If a chicken is behaving normally, eyes bright and alert, pooping normally, and eating okay, chances are she's fine health-wise but may be encountering bullying. That can be addressed and fixed if you can identify the players.
ok. i’ll go down earlier tomorrow night and watch. she is one of my oldest hens. she’s one of the ones that started our flock. I couldn’t imagine she’s getting bullied but she is in a coop with 12 8 month old hens and 2 2 yr olds

Yes, I agree I had a new lil gal that chose to roost under the kitchen window instead of inside the coop. My RIR Big Dor, was the bully. She was like..nope not staying in there.

Is she getting around ok, as far as you can see? She's getting on a little in age, and might not feel as sprightly as she used to, and it could be more difficult for her to get on the roost compared to when she was younger.

Back
Top Bottom