Chicken keeping away from flock

co chickens

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Hi,
I looked through the website and couldn't find an answer to this. I have 4 chickens, about 22 weeks old, 2 are laying. One that is not laying is occasionally staying away from the others. She will stand under the deck next to the house by herself. She also seems to not be as aware/responsive when I give the chickens treats. I haven't noticed any bullying. Is this just an oddball thing, or is there something I should know/look for?

UPDATE: Sorry, forgot to put this b4. It is about 20 degrees today, and she is the only one staying in the coop to stay warm.

Last edited:
There si always a good chance of her being stressed or sick.
Sick birds stay away from their flock.This si because their banned,and sick chickens normally are killed.

Stressed chickens,won't lay.Often because their being picked at,or something in their life just isn;t right.
Is she molting?
Most time molting birds don't like being touched,and often like to stay alone.

Hi,
I looked through the website and couldn't find an answer to this. I have 4 chickens, about 22 weeks old, 2 are laying. One that is not laying is occasionally staying away from the others. She will stand under the deck next to the house by herself. She also seems to not be as aware/responsive when I give the chickens treats. I haven't noticed any bullying. Is this just an oddball thing, or is there something I should know/look for?

Sounds like she may just be stressed. Some breeds are not well suited to confinement or are just more easily irritable than others. Maybe she is just feeling off because she is about to go into lay. The only other thing I can think of is blindness in one eye. I had a bantam who was blind in one eye and she was nervous in the crowd because she could only see half of what was going on around her. It is easy to check this. If you can bring your finger from behind her head and touch her eye that will tell. Also she may not be accurate in aiming for food. just my 2 cents, I hope it's really nothing but a personality thing.

ThePRfan,
She is not molting, but thanks for asking. Also, she has not started to lay yet, but I will still look for signs of stress. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I will look for the blindness, I was wondering about that before.

I have a chicken who is shoed away and picked on so much that she is now a bit over sensitive. I go out of my way to treat her to the treats because the others chase her away. Right now she is molting and she looks like a kiwi. One of the things you can do is build a roosting perch so she can get away from any possible pecking. Maybe give them other things to play with such as a cabbage or fresh hay or dirt to dust bathe. If your still not sure post a picture and someone with better experience can help you

Back
Top Bottom