chicken keeping hacks!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chicks n roses, Aug 25, 2016.

1. chicks n roses

chicks n roses Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    Lets share tips secrets and hacks that help in some way by making our job easier and allowing us more time with our chickens.
    Mine is a simple tip.but very helpful.my dad taught me at 5 to use a handful of dirt to clean animals water dishes.food too i suppose .his game chickens were his pride and joy.and the more grit and roots in the ground the better it will clean just grab a handful and go to town the result after a quick rinse is a shiny clean dish algae free.its served me well with dogs cats fish and horses too really helpful.good luck and godspeed TRY IT IT REALLY WORKS!

1 person likes this.
  2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Good one! I'm going to try that! My favorite time saver is an old metal paint scraper and a dust pan for poop board cleaning. The scraper has a hole in the handle as does the dust pan so I threaded some twine to keep them together and able to hang up. Takes like 30 seconds to clean up after 15 birds each morning.

3. chicks n roses

Jul 13, 2016
    smart!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    both ideas are good - thank you both

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Good idea!

6. Jilliho

Jilliho Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    Victoria BC Canada
    I recycle one and two litre bleach bottles into feed scoops. They are lighter than what you can buy and easy to clean.

7. chicks n roses

Jul 13, 2016
    Im gonna try this one tomorrow.just cleaned house and emptied the bleach! lol

8. chicks n roses

Jul 13, 2016
    Just read on another post of hanging a head of cabbage on a rope or such for winter foraging in a coop.i need to find out what vegetables my chickens like!

9. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes ive done that and they love it! Also stuffed kale or spinach into a suet holder and hung up. It's an all day long game of keep away lol. I baked flock blocks the other day using Chicken Chick's recipe and added leftover stuffing, sunflower seeds and dried mealworms since everyone's molting. It was a huge hit until my lab broke in and stole it! I heard his stomache growling all night!!!

10. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

i think i see myself using a few in the future!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by