Chicken Keeping One Eye Closed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by consideritjoy, Sep 8, 2016.

1. consideritjoy

consideritjoy New Egg

Sep 8, 2016
    Hello! I am a relatively new chicken owner (2 months). My girls are Rhode Island Reds that are probably about 2 years old (we inherited them from friends so not sure exactly). Last Friday, I was off work and spent a lot of time outside with the chickens. Speedy, one of the girls, kept laying down and falling asleep during the day, which is odd. She wasn't going to her favorite relaxing spots, just plopping down anywhere. When she got up she was keeping one of her eyes closed most of the time. The eye is not swollen or crusty. That day, she also had diarrhea. I was very worried. On Saturday, her lethargy and diarrhea were gone, but I went to Tractor Supply and picked up some oxytetracycline, just in case there was some sort of infection going on. We gave it to all 3 chickens for 4 days. During that time Speedy's only symptom continued to be her eye. She holds it closed about 70% of the time. I discontinued antibiotics because the eye doesn't seem infected and the chickens were not wanting to drink their water that contained the antibiotics. We have applied antibiotic ointment to the eye a few times, but still no change. I suppose I'm wondering if she needs to see a vet or if it sounds like maybe she scratched her eye and it just needs to heal. I'm appreciative of any insight!
    Thank you,
    Elizabeth

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Finding a poultry vet isn't always easy. But if it was me I'd make some calls and see if you could get some over the phone advice from a vet. It's worth a shot even though they will likely say, "You need to bring her in". Good luck to you!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by