Chicken killed during the day

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken Girl1, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Arrggh! Came home from church today to find one of my hens killed [​IMG] . The rest of the flock were huddled together in a corner, the hen's insides were eaten but that's about all. I've had snakes, raccoons, hawks, and an unknown predator. What do you think was most likely predator to come in the day time? I can't find any signs of how it got in, unless it was a hawk, because they were in their "uncovered" pen today. Really bummed since I recently built a new secure covered run but didn't put them in yet. [​IMG]

2. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    A hawk, that's what attacked mine a few days ago. I was home and heard a commotion and saw four of my five girls huddled together. So I went out and saw feathers and looked up and saw a Coopers hawk in a tree and he flew off. I only saw 4 girls and lots of feathers, so I walked around looking for her but found nothing. Well I found her in the coop shaking, but unhurt minus a few feathers. She took the next day off but was back to laying yesterday.[​IMG]GC

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  3. DuckMD

DuckMD Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    A hawk attacked my grown ducks yesterday. I was standing 20 feet away at the time. Needless to say they are both spooked and locked up today.
    Open to any deterrent suggestions. 12 gauge is not an option here.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I know some people string fishing line across the top of their run (if it isn't covered already).

5. DuckMD

DuckMD Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    Chicken Girl 1,
    You've given me a hopeful task for today. I'll try the line.
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by