Chicken killed in broad daylight. Advice please!

Dani004

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 22, 2013
Eastern Long Island
.I was so not prepared for my husband to come inside today and say "Checkers is dead, and I cant find Reaces." Good news is we did find Reaces, but I'm on a crazy search to find out what killed Checkers.

We let our ladies out at noon today, they free range on our acre. At 4:00 my husband went out to lock them up before dusk. One was in the coop just hanging out, one was missing, and poor Checkers was in front of her coop, no head and chest torn open. We've lost ladies before,to raccoons, and they took the body. (positive it was a raccoon in the past because of track marks, and the way the coop lock was broken, also it was at night)

What daytime animal could this be? It was a gloomy day, but we went out well before dusk to lock them up. I'm on long island, so no Coyote, Weasels, or Snakes. We do have hawks and but the coop isn't in an open field, it is right next to the house mmaking a bird attack difficult.

I'm worried and need to figure this out. I don't want my son being attacked by something, or the dog to chase a rabid raccoon.

.I was so not prepared for my husband to come inside today and say "Checkers is dead, and I cant find Reaces." Good news is we did find Reaces, but I'm on a crazy search to find out what killed Checkers.

We let our ladies out at noon today, they free range on our acre. At 4:00 my husband went out to lock them up before dusk. One was in the coop just hanging out, one was missing, and poor Checkers was in front of her coop, no head and chest torn open. We've lost ladies before,to raccoons, and they took the body. (positive it was a raccoon in the past because of track marks, and the way the coop lock was broken, also it was at night)

What daytime animal could this be? It was a gloomy day, but we went out well before dusk to lock them up. I'm on long island, so no Coyote, Weasels, or Snakes. We do have hawks and but the coop isn't in an open field, it is right next to the house mmaking a bird attack difficult.

I'm worried and need to figure this out. I don't want my son being attacked by something, or the dog to chase a rabid raccoon.

Actually there have been coyote sightings on Long Island and there are weasels and snakes there as well. Given your description of the body I would rule out coyote (would have killed and carried off) an snake, but would not rule out weasel or other similar animal (ie skunk) or fox. My money would go to fox for the circumstances. I would not be too concerned about the safety of humans from just this instance.

Thanks! If it was at night, I'd be less freaked out. its the whole daytime thing that has me in a panic. Also, how did we not hear this attack?! the coop is right next to our house. Was it that quick?

I think hawk! I just found a hawk chowing on my chicken this morning. Seemed to go right for the head and feathers all over! So mad! My girls are on house arrest until we cover their run :(

Last edited:
Looks like we posted together @abooot99. Sorry to hear you lost yours too :-(

We had a kite or hawk do a low flyover yesterday while they were free ranging so ours are also confined to the covered area till further notice

I'm so sorry! That's horrible. :( my husband wouldn't even let me go out to bury her. He knew I couldnt see her like that. If you dont mind, how close to your house was she? Checkers was Right next to her coop and our house.

It may be cat. My old cat Poppy used to catch birds and rabbits and he'd chew the head and feet off. He was always afraid of my hens, though. I'm very sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom