Chicken killed in NJ - by Hawk - What kind? &why do they take the head

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kschnur, Dec 9, 2007.

1. kschnur

kschnur New Egg

Dec 9, 2007
    One of my favorite Roosters was killed today by some type of Hawk. The rooster was hand raised and was only 4 months old. The hawk had completely ripped off and eaten the head. Now he wont' leave my area. What can I do? Any Suggestions?[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear that....... keep your birds locked up for a while...the hawk will return until he sees nothing to eat........be very watchful after a few days........then try again....so sorry you lost your roo:(

3. kschnur

kschnur New Egg

Dec 9, 2007
    Thanks! That is exactly what we are doing, keeping the rest locked up until the hawk realizes he isn't getting any more. Also my hubby is working on screening the top of the pen for them so they will be safer it. It was so horrible.. We were just so sad. [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    okiechick57 is right. Keep them out of site, only let them out if you are going to be out there with them. The hawk will get hungry and go elsewhere if it cannot get an easy meal with you out there. So sorry for your loss.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If you do let them out while you supervise them just be aware that the hawk can still snatch one even with you standing there.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sorry.....
    JJ

7. kschnur

kschnur New Egg

Dec 9, 2007
    Yes - the Hawk was clearly not afraid of me when I went out there to get him away and he really wasn't even afraid of my DOG either...

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I live in NW NJ. I have a covered run when they are outside. Or I can be the main alpha roo when they free range and stand in the middle with the chickens. I have had buzzards and hawks circle but have never had on etry. I swear if they do I got a air gun that can shoot a sharp bullet 1200 FPS. I will put that bullet right between the eyes.

9. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    i hate a Hawk it gets my chickens all the time
    matt

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:You don't have to worry about the buzzards, they only eat dead stuff. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by