Chicken killed while in enclosure

marysia12

Hatching
Dec 9, 2021
I went out in the morning to let out my chickens and found one of my chickens partially dismembered. It appears that something (probably raccoon) grabbed her through the front of the enclosure while she was asleep. I think this may have happened about 6:30 am because my dogs were barking and pacing, something obviously got their attention. I went out about 7:30 to let the chickens out when I found my poor Lily's body. Now that I have processed what happened, I am concerned about rabies. I tend to have scratches and cuts on my hands and am worried that I may have handled the enclosure after it being contaminated by the animals saliva. Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation?

:welcome :frow It will be back. I have several cameras up around my coops and pens and have seen a lot of predators on them over the years especially at night when they roam here. I have electric wires around my coops and pens good heavy duty netting covering my pens and concrete under the gates all due to losses from predators in the past. Lessons learned the hard way. If you decide to trap it be prepared to eliminate it because if not it will keep coming back and if you decide to catch and release in most places it is illegal to release unless you have the property owners permission. There are wildlife rescues that may take it and release it in one of their release areas. Good luck...

One of the biggest arguments for having a predator proof coop and run is you're less likely to encounter a wild predator in the coop or run if they can't get inside or pull one thru the wire . The fewer predators you have around the less likely you'll ever be exposed to rabies. Once a predators found an easy meal it will return and teach its young where to come .(1) roll of 1/2" hardware cloth will cover all openings and vents on a small coop and give you peace of mind. Best of luck!

:welcome :frow It will be back. I have several cameras up around my coops and pens and have seen a lot of predators on them over the years especially at night when they roam here. I have electric wires around my coops and pens good heavy duty netting covering my pens and concrete under the gates all due to losses from predators in the past. Lessons learned the hard way. If you decide to trap it be prepared to eliminate it because if not it will keep coming back and if you decide to catch and release in most places it is illegal to release unless you have the property owners permission. There are wildlife rescues that may take it and release it in one of their release areas. Good luck...
Thank you for your response. I've had these chickens over 8 years and have never had an issue until recently. I know that I will revamp the enclosure but my post was more about concern over rabies exposure since I was not wearing gloves and did not know what happened until after I opened the door.

Thank you for your response. I've had these chickens over 8 years and have never had an issue until recently. I know that I will revamp the enclosure but my post was more about concern over rabies exposure since I was not wearing gloves and did not know what happened until after I opened the door.
Coons can be a nightmare to deal with once they've killed one sorry ! Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom