1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Killing cat.....Need advice. (WARNING GRAPHIC PICS)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Teresaann24, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So I started losing chickens to something I had no clue what. Recently after I lost 3 chickens in one night it was a CAT!

He has either been dumped here or abandoned not sure which he seems Feral he has been tearing up our trash and has killed 6 of my chickens. In winter I keep my chickens in a coop/run and in summer they free range through the day and at night get locked back up. 4 of those chickens he killed some how got out after i put them up and was killed and 2 were killed inside a temp cage for new chickens I had gotten and he got through the top.

Now my local animal shelter will not help I contacted them and they said (They are not accepting cats that the cat seemed hungry for me to feed him)

I have always been told ONCE A CHICKEN KILLER ALWAYS A CHICKEN KILLER. So what do I do? He is un-catchable....I thought of sitting a live trap and finding him a home with someone who will tame him.

I need advice what should i do? yelling at him and chasing him away does not work...Scaring him does not work he always comes back.

PLEASE HELP I would love to be able to free range my chickens this spring/summer without having to watch them like a hawk (No pun intended)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    You're not going to like the answer... [​IMG]

3. jgravilusmc

jgravilusmc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Quote:i agree

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I lost 3 chicks from a chicken tractor once. I THINK a human stole them. BUT I set the trap and caught a stray black cat. Hardest shot I've ever made. Still not sure who done it, but haven't lost a chick since [​IMG]

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I can take it I am a big girl...So what do I need to do?

6. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    you can trap it and have animal contrl take care of it or SSS

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sss...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  8. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    You might be able to find a home for it, but there are a whole bunch of stray cats, and not many people would want a feral one that likely also carries disease.

Sorry, but to protect your chickens you might have to trap and shoot it, or pay a vet to put it down.

9. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:Well, I'd probably shoot a feral cat if it killed my birds and I couldn't get anybody else to get it off my property, honestly.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Well, I'd probably shoot a feral cat if it killed my birds and I couldn't get anybody else to get it off my property, honestly.

Agree.. you have to do, what you have to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by