Chicken Kindergarten!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by louisebarnhill, Apr 24, 2018.

1. louisebarnhill

louisebarnhill In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2018
    I'ma new chicken owner...3 Goolden Laced Wyandottes, 1 Americana and 1 Barred rock. 8-week old pullets. 1 week under my belt...I have read WAY TOO MUCH and now I am scared to death of raccoons biting their heads off, owls grabbing them up and egg bound peritonitis!
    They have a very roomy coup in an enclosed run that is movable to new ground easily....at night I secure them in the hen house in case something gets in the pen...It has a shade top and zero openings. I have them for egg laying and have studied extensively but everyone seems to think I will lose one here and there...no big deal. But it is a huge deal....I'm just nervous...and checking them every 20 min! Is this normal...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Normal and you should be scared to death of raccoons and all the other predators.
    Locking them in the building from dusk to dawn helps. Everything likes the taste of chicken.
    :welcome

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Quail Hatch TBD

:welcome
    :yesss: We are glad you joined this flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.
    Don't over think things and make them harder than they need to be.
    ;) Practice biosecurity and you should be just fine.
    This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

Joeschooks and louisebarnhill like this.
  4. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    :welcome You'll love being here! :love

5. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

Don't worry about it. If you were normal you wouldn't own chickens to begin with :gig

6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello and :welcome I don’t think you can ever read to much :gig there’s always something new to learn here! Never underestimate predators. I’ve never had a loss but you should see my coop and run... electric fence EVERYWHERE :lau I obsess about it too but you can’t be too careful.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    And you don't have the plethora of predators we have here. In about 40+ years of chicken keeping and free ranging anywhere from 10 to 100+ birds, I'm sure predators from mink, to weasels, to raccoons, to opossums, to coyotes, to foxes, to hawks, to feral cats, to neighbors' dogs, to stray dogs, I've easily lost $5000 worth of chickens. The predators never cease to amaze me at their ingenuity, persistence and ability to squeeze into such tight spaces or even pull the siding off of buildings.
    Luckily bears, mountain lions and bobcats are slightly farther from the metro area and haven't found my place - yet. Bobcats have been sighted in the burbs though - and mountain lions have been caught on game cams locally.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  8. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Gosh yes, we only really have foxes here (although loads of them and at all times of day and night) and few birds of prey but I’ve never seen them around here. We are fortunate.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: