chicken knocking on the door :P

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klf73, Apr 12, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    We have a chicken that has been in the house for a couple of months because she was lost in freezing weather for a week, we thought a predator got her. Well, the kids found her so I promised to give her a chance since she looked so good. She had curled toes on one foot pretty bad before so when she lost most of the toes it actually made it easier for her to walk. She can still perch with the toes on the other foot, and only lost a small piece of toe on that foot. I have recently started to let her free range with the others again, but the hens aren't being to nice.....
    She stays mostly with the non-dominant roo or by herself. I take her back in the house at night. She came to the deck today and kept looking at the door, so I figured she wanted in and brought her to her box. She wanted to lay, I figured that was cool. I brought her back out. The kids were playing outside so I wasn't worried about her as it wasn't getting dark yet. We heard a noise at the door and dh went over to it and my son's cat was between the the screen door and the steel door. He let the cat in. He heard the noise again, and then again.......he went to the door and looked out. He said "hon, I think your chicken wants to come in" [​IMG] . I looked out and she jumped up and hit the door with her feet. I opened the door and she squat, and I brought her in.
    It amazes me that she is easier to train than my dogs [​IMG]

2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Very funny story. I think chickens are smart when they want to be. My girls are always trying to sneak into my garage since they know the old bakery bread is in their which is mostly for my pigs.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Put a bell with a string on it and teach her to ring the bell. Video it and sent it to AFV. Never know you may win 10K

4. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    When my husband was a little boy, his mother had a chicken that would "knock" at the screen door to come in. She had a box behind the woodstove, would lay her egg there and then "ask" to go outside again.

[​IMG]

Michele.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How cute,, Blue Roo does that to me except he stands in front of the door and jumps up and down looking in the glass. Drives the cats nuts.

6. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

My pet chicken, Muffin, when I was a child, used to knock at the back door when it rained. We'd let her in and dry her with a hairdryer on the kitchen table, and then she'd hop back out, pleased to have gotten dry again.

Bless her, I sooo loved that hen. [​IMG]

7. aliprowl

aliprowl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Northern Westchester
    My husband thinks I am insane because I want to train the chickens (or at least one or two of them) to use the cat door. I thought it would be fun to have them "visit", though I don't know what exactly to do about the poop issue! I know they make diapers, but that would kill the spontaneity factor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by