chicken labored breath and watery eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fitz, Sep 12, 2009.

1. fitz

fitz Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    hi, i had a case of dry avian pox in my chicken coop starting with my white turkey. Two weeks later about all symptoms of dry pox are gone. Now, my chickens are having labored breathing, especially one is actually gasping and had watery eyes, even bubbles in the eyes!! Does anyone have any idea what this is?? another case of pox or something else? The hen with the watery eyes was fine this morning, but suddenly got really bad this evening near dusk.

2. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    If you have had a recent case of Avian pox there is no reason to believe that your chickens won't be next, unless you vacinated them after the initial outbreak.... sometimes avian pox will not show signs of the infection in all the birds at the same times...As you already know there isn't much you can do if in fact it is pox.
    I would treat the water of all your birds with oxytetracycline just to minimize the risk of any other infections...Others will undoubtedly disagree with me but that is their opinion as well as this is JMO...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Please read threehorses post here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=238239&p=1

Do
    a visual exam on the inside of hen's mouth and observe for whitish/yellowish plaques (usually symptom of wet (diptheric) pox.

If you notice similar symptoms in your turks (particularly any swelling of sinuses) it is possible you might have something else going on: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203402.htm

Personally
    , I'd have them tested, just to be sure of what is going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by