1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken ladder pitch - landing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hodawg, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Hodawg

Hodawg Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm putting the finishing touches on the coop/run. The height of the exit from the pop door is 36 inches, and the distance to the farthest wall of the run is 60 inches, giving me roughly a 8/12 pitch, or 33.5 degree slope for the chicken ladder. Is this too steep? I can break the steepness up by breaking up the slope half way down to the ground via installing a landing and making a second ladder extending to the ground. Is this necessary? Can the hens climb a 33 degree ladder? Will they figure out how to navigate one ladder leading left to right, turn on the landing, then another ladder leading right to left back up into the elevated coop? I need some advice before making the final installation.

Beers y'all,
    Ken

2. Hodawg

Hodawg Chillin' With My Peeps

No ideas??? Come on y'all, help a brother out.

Beers y'all,
    Ken

3. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    [​IMG]

I am 30" from the ground to the top of the ramp at the door. I am 6" from the ground at the bottom of the ramp. I have a piece under it to raise it up. It is 48" wall to wall.
    There is slats 1/2" x 1 1/2" that are 5 1/2" on center. They go up and down without a problem. Hope this helps you.

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I think that you are going to be fine with the angle. The pitch on our ramp out to the run is 45deg and have not had a problem with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by