1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken ladder

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jermoatc, Feb 5, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    I just started a new back yard flock for the first time. I built a really nice coop a couple feet off the ground with a chicken ladder. Its not too steep. Less than 40 degrees. I just dont think they know how to use it. Is this common? Any tricks to getting them to use it? I have tried trailing treats up and down it. Ive put their food down on the ground to try and coax them out.

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Can you put scratch or some sort of treat on the "rungs"? Chickens will do almost anything for food! [​IMG]

I really should pay more attention when I read. [​IMG]

How long have they been in the coop? Try putting a couple of birds out on the ground and they will want to rejoin the rest.... somebody has to give in and use the ladder. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

oops. I forgot to say: [​IMG]

4. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    How close are your rungs together?? Mine use a ladder everyday, they need them pretty close together around 3 to 4 inches apart at the most. Lots of treats especially scratch tossed on ladder. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Thanks all for your replies. I just got back in and I tried putting some and then all of them on the ground and a couple walked right back up the ladder. A couple skipped the ladder all together and just flew up to the pop door. I live in Colorado and we just had a -20 (temp not wind chill) cold snap so they have been inside for a couple days. It was nice yesterday and today though. I left a trail of scratch on the ladder and a pumpkin scattered on the ground along with their regular food. If they get hungry i suppose they'll go out. Thanks for your input.[​IMG]

6. SJchicks

SJchicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    Funny story: When ours were first transferred to their coop, we started by putting them in it for a few hours during warm afternoons. We tried everything - treat trails, etc, to get them to go "upstairs"...no luck. As we sat there on our patio, all discouraged, it started to get dark. Those little girls just lined up and trotted up that ladder like little chicken robots. We laughed so hard at our stupidity. The hens probably kept thinking, "Why are they trying to put us to bed when it's not bedtime yet?" Even if we leave them to "free range" all day, they never fail to put themselves to bed. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  7. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

Mine were suspicious of the ladder at first. Had to let the dense ones use the people door the first couple times. As they grew, they had no trouble using the ladder. Now the only problem is ice.

8. EssexGirl

EssexGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Hayward
    Give them some time and they will figure it out. My husband built the same kind of coop and for a while the chickens either jumped or flew straight in ignoring the ladder, but pretty soon they got the hang of it. We're just putting another ladder in the coop because we adopted two hens that had never been used to roosting on a perch and we have gotten tired of having to lift them onto the perch and getting a faceful of flapping wings! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by