Chicken laid a bloody, shell less egg

Jul 1, 2021
Hello,
So I woke up this morning to find a shell less bloody egg sitting on the floor of the coop underneath the roost.
I am unsure who laid it, but I have a mixed flock including 2x wyandottes, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Buff Orpington, 2 Easter Eggers.
Some notes on stressful conditions/ potential causes:
  • Record heat wave just hit us for 3 days. The chickens were very stressed.
  • We do have ducks (though none have any signs of illness) so egg drop syndrome may be a possibility
  • Yesterday, I cleaned out the coop and sprayed it down with a mixture of water, vinegar, dish soap, neem oil and a few drops of cedar oil
Other signs of stress/ illness:
  • One of the Easter Eggers has been losing egg pigmentation
  • One of them (probably the red) has started eating eggs
  • The red has been particularly broody lately
  • Red also seems to have some mildly dirty vent feathers.
Things I have checked/ tried:
  • Checked all the chickens for signs of fleas or mites. None found.
  • Increased calcium, added a probiotic and increased access to a variety of greens/ veg.
  • Cleaned out coop.
Ok, I would appreciate any feedback or ideas you have. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• PXL_20210701_172833134.jpg
    PXL_20210701_172833134.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20210701_172840545.jpg
    PXL_20210701_172840545.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 5
With the heat it could be related to that. Sort of looks like a follicle that was released, but hard to tell.

I would provide electrolytes in addition to plain fresh water (give them a choice).
Hopefully it's a glitch. Loss of pigment in an egg can be from dehydration, age, etc. Could also be a glitch in the shell gland.
If you know which hen for sure, then give her 1 Caltrate a day for a few days to see if that helps.

Egg eating is a bad habit. Try to collect eggs more frequently and provide the birds with protein. They may be eating more veggies/fruits/scraps instead of their normal feed.

Back
Top Bottom