Chicken laid a deformed egg

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Amyc1975, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Amyc1975

Amyc1975 Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    Ok so I am a newbie, my hens are 6months old. I know this will sound bad I have three white Leghorns and three brown idk what they are! ( lol) Bought them at tractor supply! They started laying last month and now we're getting 5-6 eggs per day! Yay! Well today one of my brown ladies laid a beige egg not brown and it had a giant calcium like deposit on top and the brown chickens are much bigger than my white ones and lay bigger eggs. This egg was smaller than the Leghorn eggs. Is this something that happens from time to time. The shells are nice and hard and the whites and yolks have been perfect. Haven't cracked the odd egg yet to inspect inside of it but will in the morning. Should I be concerned?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    If you post photos of your black birds we can probably help you ID their breed - nothing wrong with not knowing, but we can help if you want to know.
    WL are a small/light breed - the size disparity in your birds is not likely anything to be concerned about, and is more about your black birds being one of the heavier breeds/hybrids.
    As to the odd egg, from what you describe it is not sounding like anything of concern, however you can take and post a photo of it so that we can see what you are seeing and that might help. New layers, especially, are notorious for producing some odd eggs - this is their system getting all the "moving parts" involved in building an egg to work right. Generally speaking, shell deformities, etc are strictly external and don't have anything to do with the quality of what is inside. If you are concerned, though, just crack it over a dish separate from anything you want to prepare it with so that *if* there were anything odd you haven't contaminated what you are using it for.

3. Amyc1975

Amyc1975 Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    Idk what breed my brown girls are but their feather patterns are beautiful! All 6 of them are awesome and we enjoy their personalities. When they first stared laying we of course had like three eggs then five etc. As time went one we've consistently been five to six a day! Today was our first wonky egg! Just wondering if we should worry!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from OGM, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

You've had some good advice above.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by