Chicken laid an egg white?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Luggage, Mar 4, 2013.

1. The Luggage

The Luggage Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    When I went out to check for eggs and let the girls have some time outside their pen (the pen is 30 x 36 feet, but there's no green plants left in it, so I let them in the yard some each day), Maybelle was acting funny. She didn't come running out, and her tail was sort of down. She had not laid an egg yet, at 5 pm, which was surprising. She's my best layer and hasn't missed a day since she began laying. Anyway, I picked her up and put her in the nesting box. She settled right in. I went out just a bit ago, and she was clearly feeling much better. Her tail was up, and she was running around eating stuff and looking happy. I was sure I'd find an egg in the box, but instead, I found what appears to be an egg white. No yolk, no membrane, no shell. It was thicker and more gelatinous than a regular egg white. It had no odor. I'm happy that she seems to feel better, but I am still worried about her. Surely the shell didn't break inside of her and she just expelled the white. I mean, surely there would have been at least a few fragments of shell if that had happened. Help! I love my sweet Maybelle and her blue eggs.

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    How long has Maybelle been laying? I honestly don't think this is something to worry about too much. All hens will lay a weird egg sometimes (especially if they're new layers). She probably looked a little down before she laid because this kind of thing might feel a bit uncomfortable inside her....but if this doen't continue then she should be fine.

I have a chicken called Maybelle too!!

3. The Luggage

The Luggage Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2012
    Thanks, Darwinchooks! Maybelle has been laying for about 6 weeks. Up to now, all of her eggs, including the first, have been normal in shape, size, and shell.

Maybelle is a great chicken name, isn't it! My other two are called Trudy and Clover.

4. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Yep, don't worry about her! You might just want to keep an eye on the next few eggs she lays, just to see how they look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by