Chicken laid clear goo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bobbi16, Nov 26, 2011.

1. bobbi16

bobbi16 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Hey everyone,
    I went out to the coop today and found 4 brown eggs and they were all covered in clear goo and there was something that looked like a popped balloon on them. It was soft and even felt like a popped balloon. I have an Ameracauna that laid her first egg yesterday and it was perfect, but I think it may have been her since I have 4 chickens and they all lay brown and I found 4 of them covered in the goo. Any ideas what this means???? The shells have all been nice and hard so far and they have oyster shell and they eat organic grower that I have been mixing with organic laying feed.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like what is called a soft shelled egg, not really that unusual for pullets when they first start laying. I'd just watch them for signs of illness (acting sick or lethargic, etc.) Extra calcium might be good, but if they have been on a layer feed, they may not even need this. Hopefully it will clear up in a few weeks or less.

3. Bunnieluvr

Bunnieluvr New Egg

Nov 26, 2011
    That happened a few times when mine first started laying.
    I actually crunch up the egg shells after we eat them and feed them back to them for the calcium.
    They love it.
    I also give them any eggs that I break, but I make sure that they don't look like eggs anymore (break them up) because I don't want them to realize that what they lay is yummy and start eating them before they can be collected.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by