Chicken laid egg on ground

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rooaroo, Feb 13, 2012.

1. rooaroo

rooaroo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    My chicken that is 9 months old and is free range laid an egg next to my house in my gravel. I put them all in their master run and coop yesterday because of the rain but she always flies out if she doesn't feel like being in so she wasn't where she could just walk on into her nesting box. So I am sure she laid it there because of that but I am afraid that she will start laying them everywhere and I have over an acre here to be easter egger hunting! Funny too because my Wynadotte led me to it. I was trying to get them back over to where I can see them from in the house and she walked right up to it as if to say "Look what Lady did Mom" :) Just wondering if this has happened to others and if they returned to the nesting box?

2. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    This has happened to me once, I had a hen who liked to fly out of there run, then couldn't get back in so she would lay right outside the coop on the groud. Once I fixed the run so she couldn't get out I never had the problem again. You might want to think about covering your run, it will keep her from flying out and keep flying predators from getting in. Good luck!

3. rooaroo

rooaroo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Our coop and run is set under a large canopy of redwoods....I would hate to cover it. I get mostly hawks and large black birds that fly above...do I need to be concerned about them? Most of the time they have other small birds or Stellar Jays in there scamming on their treats and feed. My Lady girl will chase them out, it is funny. She is so independent...she doesn't get along with my Roo or the other two girls I have. She isn't their breed either. Does that matter? She is my favorite bird and I have this thing about clipping her wings. Not only has it saved her from a neighbor's dog in our yard (she flew up into a tree while the rest of the fatties ran and hid) but I tell people "Would you like it if someone cut your toes off so you couldn't run?" I just don't want to do that. I was just worried she would avoid the box all together and when they are all out the door is open so she can get back in. I will say that after I posted this I went out for an egg check and she was in there laying. I am just new to this, this is my first flock and I have lost two roosters already. I am very protective and concerned for my birds! :)

4. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Hawks you should definetly be worried about, I had one get in my coop one time and killed 3 of my chickens. It was at night and I never did figure out how the heck he got in there, haven't had a problem since and hope it stays that way. You don't have to cover your run, some people do some don't, I don't I was just suggesting it if you kept having problems with your hen getting out. I don't clip my chickens wings either for the same reason. Good luck with your flock and feel free to ask any questions you might have, better to ask than find out the hard way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by