Chicken laid her first egg....then stopped.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 4LadyFriends, Aug 11, 2014.

1. 4LadyFriends

4LadyFriends New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG]Hi! I have 4 hens, all 21 weeks (Buff Orpington, 2 Amerecaunas, Black Star). My Black Star laid her first egg 8 days ago. They are free range but she went back to the coop sometime after 10am (I had already cleaned out the coop and it was empty then) and laid that big beauty right next to my fake eggs in the nesting box. [​IMG]Of course, the whole family was thrilled. We'd been watching the squatting, hearing the egg songs, an watching their combs get super red for weeks before that moment. But then....nothing.[​IMG] No eggs. I kept the whole crew in the coop for 48 hours this weekend to see if maybe she was laying but I haven't found the eggs in the yard (they are usually out around 9am for the day). Still nothing. I've searching the backyard. She just hasn't laid since then. [​IMG]And none of the others have either, though 2 are squatting. She seems perfectly happy and healthy. No predator scares. Is this normal? I've heard of chickens laying for a couple weeks and taking a break but after just one egg? I haven't seen any egg shells or yellow beaks so I'm praying it's not an egg eating situation.[​IMG] Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! 21 weeks is still fairly young for your breeds so would vote you just need a little patience for the girls to get with the program, as long as she is acting fine. Sometimes new layers will be erratic the first month or so, just lay an egg or two then skip for a while, usually they will start up again fairly soon. Laying generally starts a few weeks after they start squatting, so hopefully you will be getting eggs from somebody again any day now!

3. 4LadyFriends

4LadyFriends New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Hi! Thanks for your thoughts. [​IMG]You don't think they're eating the eggs, do you? Wouldn't there be signs of it happening? [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If they are eating the eggs, there should be signs, chickens usually aren't that neat! You've looked for hidden nests (chickens are darn good at hiding nests so check any small enclosed spaces in the coop etc also) and you've locked them up for a couple of days, other main thing would be that something else isn't taking the whole egg (snakes, dogs etc)

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Kelsie2290 has given you some good advice. I expect that you will begin to see a lot more eggs shortly. Black Sex Links (Black Stars) are egg laying machines. I have raised them for years (currently have 7 of them) and they have consistently been my best layers. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Kelsie X2 Give them time to get their egg laying machines in gear. 21 weeks is a bit young to start laying. Some can hold off for 26 weeks. So hopefully they all start laying soon!

And keep an eye on free rangers. They LOVE to lay their eggs in some secret nest out in the field.

Good luck and I hope the eggs start coming soon!

7. 4LadyFriends

4LadyFriends New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Thanks for your tips! The idea of them holding out until 26 weeks is difficult, especially since we got that teaser egg! My kids check the nesting box 6 times a day in eager anticipation of the follow up. We thought getting an egg meant that she was good to go and would be laying eggs regularly. [​IMG]But, we don't have a choice so I guess that's what we'll do if there's nothing else we can do.

Do you think they actually hold out? Can they control their production like that?

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Laying is all hormonal driven. Each bird matures at a different rate and each breed has it's own laying times as well.

So all you can do is keep waiting! I know the waiting can kill you, LOL, but it will be well worth the wait in the end. :)

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

This egg waiting game is sure torturous! But once you get them, it'll be worth it!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Give her a bit more time, it'll come [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by