chicken laid one egg then none....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lsutigers1809, Mar 6, 2013.

1. lsutigers1809

lsutigers1809 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    louisian
    hi i recently bought a phoinex hen said to be 2 years old i put her in with the flock of young hens (5 mo) she quickly established her self as the dominate hen. the following day she.laid me my first egg but she has not laid one since its been 3 days plenty of room...plenty of food and water i took the golf balls out of the nest since she knew what they were for. ..any ideal why shes quit laying

2. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    that happens. When they start laying again it can be a few weeks after they lay another. it should come pretty steady again. Also, dont forget at the age shes at she wont be the best layer.

3. Demosthine

Demosthine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    First thing first... Are you absolutely certain that she is not laying them elsewhere? If she free-ranges, make sure you check everywhere thoroughly. You will find hundreds, perhaps thousands of stories here where they found a stash of a dozen more eggs hidden under a porch or bush in someones yard. If she is housed in an enclosure where that isn't possible, this option is far easier to eliminate. I can easily spend an hour in my back yard trying to locate stray eggs. We have roughly twenty oleander bushes that they enjoy laying under, as well as the playground, barbecue, behind the A/C units, etc. Also, with a stressful change like a complete relocation, it can cause the production to stop for a few days. Sometimes patience will be the answer.

With the extremely rare and sudden weather changes, she may be confused about it all. If you are experiencing the same weather we are here in Arizona, it'll be cold for a few days and then warm up drastically for a few days. There are quite a few people on our Arizona Thread that have had less than favorable egg counts the last month or two. It seems they average about half their regular counts.

Also, if she really is about two years old, she could be molting like they do annually. If you aren't familiar with it, it is said to be caused by the shortened daylight hours as well as the temperatures. Generally, they molt in the fall, but if they have been laying for about a year starting in the spring, they may go through it this time of year instead. Others may wait for the following fall. Like I said, the weather is completely off kilter here. Some of our fruit trees developed a harvest three to four months earlier than normal and are even starting a second harvest now.

Watch of drastic loss of feathers. It tends to occur in order: head, neck, body, wings and then the tail. If this is what is going on, try to maintain a reasonably fall temperature in the 70*s, ensure a high quality diet and make sure a pan is available for a water bath.

As a secondary concern, you will want to watch for the assortment of diseases. The only two I would be concerned about with your description would be her being an internal layer (probably not likely since you already received an egg), or her being egg bound. If for no other reason than educational purposes, read up on those and how to check for each one. This is a worst-case-scenario, though, and I wouldn't be concerned about them yet. The above two options are far more likely.

4. lsutigers1809

lsutigers1809 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    louisian
    They don't free range and this is my first year with chickensso wasnt sure when they melted but i was told they shouldn't sleep in the nest box since the new.hen laissez her egg they have all been sleeping in the nest boxes roosters included could that be a problem

5. Demosthine

Demosthine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    You do not want them sleeping in the nesting boxes. If you need to, close the boxes off at night and open them during the morning hours. My girls generally lay between 0800 Hours and 1000 Hours, but not later than 1200 Hours. That could be a problem because the box is occupied too often, although I would expect her to just lay the egg elsewhere in the coop. You might search out any place she could "hide" the eggs in your coop and run.You'd be amazed how crafty these lil' buggers can be.

Watch her over the next couple of days. If you are truly concerned, start keeping a logbook of her weight. Check her once or twice a day and see if she is losing anything. That is a sign that something else is going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by