Chicken laid strange thing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rafa, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    I have posted a picture below of something strange I found in the coop the other morning. Im a beginner with chickens so for all I know it might be quite normal. One of my ladies was going crazy trying to eat it, its quite rubbery and kind of flesh like and looks and feels pretty weird, infact inside it, it looked like cooked chicken!!any ideas please?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    soft shell egg [​IMG] ...... looking again I don't know what the heck that is! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    There was a thread a few weeks back about this. Someones hen laid something really bizarre. Try searching a bit. I have no idea what words to use to do a search.
    Someone will remember what it was.
    I hope she will be alright.

4. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Looks like the start of a baby chick to me.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

6. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    Thanks for the link to that thread Imp fantastic reading. When I first posted the pictures I didnt want to say that I thought it looked like an embryo cos I thought everyone would think I was abit crazy!

A few things I did pick up on which are similar to my chicken that laid this, is that she too had not been near a roo, so you think well how could she lay something that looks like a baby chick!! and as someone else mentioned she is also a layer of double yokers and they are absolutley massive!! and she is not a regular layer. The other weird thing is that I have nick named her 'John Wayne' as she walks like she has just got off a horse, coincidence?

Thanks for the replies and l look forward to others views:) I will also be keeping my eye out to see if anyone else has ever had this happen.

7. lakeman

lakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Abbevill SC
    Do you know for sure positive that the chicken LAYED this object? Did you see it emerge? Maybe pooped it?

8. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    [​IMG] it got layed in my book, because it sure doesn't look like poop.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. Rafa

Rafa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Nottingham, England
    ok I cant swear it wasnt pooped out, but it is nothing like poop I can assure you of that!! It is far too fleshy and layered to be poop.

10. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Quote:OK, just about threw up in my mouth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by