Chicken laid two eggs and stopped?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewChic13, Aug 4, 2011.

1. NewChic13

NewChic13 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    S. Lake Tahoe
    Hi,
    One of my two sexlinks started to lay on 7/23. I found a second egg on the 25th. But there hasn't been another egg since then? Is that normal for a new layer? I haven't changed anything in between. Except it did get a little cooler and rainy for a few days. But the temp. has been back to a normal 75-80 degrees for about a week now. They are on Organic Pride laying pellets and fresh greens a few times a week.

They have an outdoor run but it's semi-shady most of the day. Is this part of the problem? Do they need direct sunlight all day to be productive?

I have read that there may lso be an egg thief sneaking into the coop, but would a predator be so consistent that I would not find an egg again? I havn't seen any signs of a predator in the coop, but there are small holes that a mouse might fit through.

Please help? Is this normal or do I need to make some lifestyle adjustments for my girls?

(I did read the article posted. I was helpful but din't menion if it's normal or not for a new layer to stop laying after only 2 eggs?)

Thanks!![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. montanaSarah

montanaSarah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    i'm having the same issue, so i'm interested in everyone's response...
    mine get to free range all day, so my boys and i have even been scouring the yard to make sure she hasn't made a secret nest.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Is there any way that they might have laid under the coop, or in a tucked away corner of the coop?

4. montanaSarah

montanaSarah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    thank you Yay Chicks! i just went and searched the house and found she had burrowed a little nest way in the corner where i wouldn't see! hmmm, now to get her to lay in the boxes [​IMG]

5. NewChic13

May 7, 2011
    S. Lake Tahoe
    Can't be under. Ill check the corners again. So I'm assuming this isn't normal?

6. CajunWildTurkey

CajunWildTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    I had my first egg layer lay for 2 days, took the weekend off then layer 4 day then took 3 days off, laid 3 days then took a whole week off, then laid a few more days then took another week off. This week I got a few new layers and have been getting 2 a day until the day before yesterday I got 3, then 3 again yesterday and today I got 5. It takes some time for all there piston to run and when they do be ready. LOL

7. NewChic13

May 7, 2011
    S. Lake Tahoe
    UPDATE!!!
    So it figures... about an hour after my last post I checked on the girl, and TADA! There was an egg! [​IMG] I guess she's still just getting into a routine. I'll keep you posted on her next!!! Thanks for all your answers and support![​IMG]

8. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    [​IMG] glad you found another egg! i was just gonna say that new layers do take a few weeks before they will give you an egg everyday or everyother day. just takes some time to work out the kinks [​IMG]

9. NewChic13

May 7, 2011
    S. Lake Tahoe
    Even though it was her third egg, I just ate my first home grown egg, and YUM![​IMG] That was one expensive egg! But well worth it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by