Chicken lame in the left foot.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kiokel, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Kiokel

Kiokel New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    My 13 chicks had hatched 2 days ago in my home-made incubator, and 3 of them are limping since they have hatched. They sometimes get up on one leg, but most of the time they can't even stand up. They're holding one of their legs close to their body. It looks like they have a cramp in their bad feet. I've examined them, and the sick leg doesn't seem rigid, but their thigh looks a bit swollen, and it's turning awaya bit from the body. First I thought, they've twisted their legs, but there are no fences and such in my incubator.

Is it a genetic problem? Will it be cured with time?

PS: Sorry for my bad english... [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi and your English is fine, The only thing I can think of is maybe temps or humidity flucktuated some while incubating since it's more than one. but any way hopefully this link will help. I hope so and [​IMG] keep us posted on how they are. All the best. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/

3. Kiokel

Kiokel New Egg

Jul 4, 2011
    Thank you for the reply. I'm afraid, you''ve solved the problem... The temp had fluctuated.

I've read the link, you gave me, and maybe they have a Slipped Achilles Tendon, mixed with Splayed Leg. I tried to fix the tendon by following the text, but the tendon seemed to jump out again and again. So I've moved to plan B, and tried put the bad leg in a rail, but it was too thight, and they couldn't even stand up with their rigid leg, and their leg turned purple, too. [​IMG] I've removed the rail, and made a little pipe from duct tape, and slipped on their hock. It staightened their legs, and it's not so rigid. But I had to fix their Splayed Leg, too, so they received a leg hobble made of duct tape.

Now they look funny, but it seems to be working. I don't know if the tendon will be fixed, I'm a bit sceptic about it... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by