Chicken Law for Lubbock out of date

Pye Wacket

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2020
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/lubbock-texas-chicken-ordinance.61471/

This was posted 10 years ago and the OP does not appear to have been active for some time. The information is out of date. How can this be fixed?

Max chickens allowed ARTICLE says Not Specified - in reality it is 6 without a permit and more than 6 requires a permit
Roosters allowed ARTICLE says YES - but roosters are not allowed
COOP restrictions ARTICLE says Not Specified but see below for current housing/run requirements

Correct up to date info is here:

https://z2codes.franklinlegal.net/franklin/Z2Browser2.html?showset=lubbockset

Search on chickens. Some of the pertinent information includes:

b) Except as provided by this section, six (6) chickens hens may be permitted in an R-1, R-1A, or R-2 zoned residence with the following requirements:

(1) The keeping of any chicken hens(s) shall be considered an accessory use to the main building or structure of any property.

(2) Any and all chicken hens so kept shall remain confined in an enclosure to prevent their running at large.

(3) Any such above-described enclosure shall be kept in the rear yard.

(4) Any such above-described enclosure that is less than 200 square feet shall maintain a minimum five (5) foot setback from a side or rear property line. Any such above-described enclosure that is more than two hundred (200) square feet shall be subject to all setback requirements in chapter 40 of this code.

(5) Any and all enclosures or other such shelters provided for said permitted chicken hens shall be of a size sufficient to be conducive to good sanitation, and shall provide adequate and sanitary drainage for the enclosure or shelter.

(6) All litter and droppings resulting from the keeping of permitted chicken hens shall be collected daily in a container or receptacle of such a type that when closed is rat proof and fly tight and said container or receptacle shall remain closed after collection of litter or droppings. Any such litter and droppings so collected shall be disposed of at a minimum of once daily in a manner that complies with all provisions of this code and in such a way as not to permit fly breeding or any other unsanitary condition.

(7) All feed provided for any such permitted chicken hens shall be stored and kept in a rodent and wildlife proof and fly tight receptacle.

(8) Roosters are not permitted.

(9) No keeping of any hen(s) or associated use(s) shall otherwise be permitted which is or would reasonably be injurious to the neighborhood residents or which would interfere with the reasonable use and enjoyment of their property by reason of the emission of dust, smoke, odor, glare, noise, vibration, trash, junk, water spray, or by reason of any condition which would amount to a public nuisance at common law.

(c) Any persons desiring to keep more than six (6) chicken hens at one residence must apply with the director of animal services for a multipet permit in accordance with section 4.01.003 of this chapter. Such persons so applying for a multipet permit must comply with all conditions and have all the rights of appeal as set forth in section 4.01.003 of this chapter. In addition, such persons shall comply with all the conditions of section 40.03.204(11) of the zoning ordinances of the city and any and all other applicable provisions of the zoning ordinances of the city. If a person obtains a multipet permit, such permitted chicken hens shall be maintained in compliance with all conditions set forth in subsection (b) of this section.

Can someone explain why this was moved? THIS IS ABOUT HOW TO UPDATE AN ARTICLE THAT CONTAINS INCORRECT INFORMATION. Only forum owners can fix this.

THANK YOU!!!! All I care about is getting it fixed. I don't get the moving but it seemed to me it made it LESS likely to get it fixed since nobody just reading the forum could do anything about it - only privileged forum administrators can do that. The law has changed a LOT in 10 years, LOL!

I'm no legal eagle but it looks to me like it conveys the most important information correctly now and people can click the link to see the all the pertinent part of the ordinance.

Again, THANK YOU for fixing it!

In the future if you find an article with out of date material and have a good link to insert, you can click the Report button and let the staff know you want to replace an old link.

W
In the future if you find an article with out of date material and have a good link to insert, you can click the Report button and let the staff know you want to replace an old link.

Well that's why I posted to the

Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides

forum. I didn't know to click "report" as I did not know that that is used for corrections AS WELL as reporting spam or other objectionable content. I figured someone would either fix it from there or tell me how to do it myself. Moving it here without telling me the correct way to handle it didn't help.

But it IS fixed now so all is good, not?

Back
Top Bottom