Chicken Laws in Dallas, TX?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by Pruehito, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Pruehito

Pruehito In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    I was wondering if I am allowed to raise chickens in the more urban area of the city, or at least just hens. I do have a yard for them.

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  2. littleprairieheartsfarm

littleprairieheartsfarm Chicken Rancher

May 4, 2018
    North Texas
    :welcome

It looks like in Dallas you are allowed hens, and I couldn’t find a limit. Roosters are only allowed in specific cases.

We’re in the North Tarrant area, where are you in terms of Dallas? The city itself or one of the surrounding areas?

3. Pruehito

Pruehito In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    I live Downtown, in a more quiet neighborhood.

4. littleprairieheartsfarm

May 4, 2018
    North Texas
    So yes those rules would then apply to you. If it would make you feel better, you can always call your city manager or city secretary to double check that there isn’t any special requirements.

Have you thought about what breeds you will have? Are you looking for reliable layers, or more as pets hens?

5. Pruehito

Pruehito In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    I just want pet hens, laying is also important though. I’m thinking Plymouth Rocks or Freedom Rangers just because I thought they seemed cool.

6. littleprairieheartsfarm

May 4, 2018
    North Texas
    Plymouth Rocks are good layers, Freedom Layers are a type of broiler bird so they aren’t very good in terms of laying.

7. Pruehito

Pruehito In the Brooder

Jan 23, 2019
    Sorry I did not know.

8. littleprairieheartsfarm

May 4, 2018
    North Texas
    You are fine, no need to apologize! I just wanted to let you know. If you wanted a bird that looks similar to them but a good layer then you could see if New Hampshire Reds would work better. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: