Chicken Laws in Upland, CA?

Roxy1778

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Hi! I've been doing some research on chicken laws where I live, and was dismayed to find that according to http://www.qcode.us/codes/upland/ I can't keep chickens in a "SFR SINGLE-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT", but agricultural zones are fine. Does anyone know of a way I can get around this? I have a fairly large backyard, but it's not 20,000 sq ft, so it can hardly count as agricultural.

Edit: Oh, I found most of the information in titles 17 and 18.

Last edited:
I live in Upland and a year or two ago I sent several letters to the city pointing out that every other city around us allows hens. I would love to see the rules changed here... Especially since I just read an article that even San Merino is considering it. Do you have any ideas? Maybe you could send a letter too and hopefully get more of a response than I did.

These are the cities I know of.
Berkeley: Unlimited Chickens, 25 feet from neighbors house
Irvine: 2 Chickens
Los Angeles: 1 Rooster, Unlimited Hens, 35 feet from neighbors house
Oakland: Unlimited Hens, 20 feet from neighbors house
San Jose: 6 Chickens, 20 feet from neighbors house
San Francisco: 4 Chickens, 20 feet from any house

The link doesn't give the answers I was looking for. I was trying to get at what constitutes a "Chicken Run" and how many chickens. It sounds like they are talking about commercial chicken use, not residential "pets". Maybe I'll write them a letter too.

I'll definitely send some letters. Even though at this point I doubt my parents would consent to having chickens, there's no harm in making it possible for others here.

I live in Pomona - we are allowed 24 chickens, no roosters. I went to Upland High back a hundred years ago, and we lived in Upland on 17th street in the 1960's - it was pretty rural up there back then and most of the grove houses had chickens. But there was an explosion of housing tracts in the 1970's that probably led to the current rules - sure is a shame, as a couple of hens wouldn't hurt anyone.

And your city council makes ours look sane - not honest, mind you. Ours is never going to look honest...

Kate

Hi,
Our family is in the process of building a chicken house in back and we live in Upland. We have wanted to do this for a long time and have many friends in surrounding cities that have theirs
set up.
We have not called the city, but after looking online, I could not find a definitive statement
not allowing chickens as house pets. So....... we are going for it.
We have a large garden and having our own eggs is the next step. :)

I went down to upland city hall last summer. They told me then that chickens aren't aloud. Even as pets. I think it's all BS. But hey, If your neighbors are cool then most likely the city will never find out. But you should let your neighbors know. And you can always bribe them with fresh eggs.

These are the cities I know of.
Berkeley: Unlimited Chickens, 25 feet from neighbors house
Irvine: 2 Chickens
Los Angeles: 1 Rooster, Unlimited Hens, 35 feet from neighbors house
Oakland: Unlimited Hens, 20 feet from neighbors house
San Jose: 6 Chickens, 20 feet from neighbors house
San Francisco: 4 Chickens, 20 feet from any house

Los Angeles is zoned and varies from zone to zone. I live in the center of the city of LA and am allowed 5 hens, no rooster, 25 ft from any residential building. As it gets a little less urban, like Pasadena, the rules ease up a bit. LA county is HUGE so its gets a little confusing with so many different zones and rules.

I would call your local animal control and ask. If the person you get when you call is not friendly then try back at a different time. They deal with rude people a lot so be kind, but they can be super helpful sometimes with suggestions if you get the right person.

Last edited:
Hello my Upland CA neighbors!

I’m going to try and get the keeping of chickens on the City Council Agenda for a vote. We’ve been keeping chickens for a long while now. My Kids have grown on Fresh Eggs from our own chickens but we just got a notice from Upland Animal control to have hem removed. We only have 5 hens and a rooster. Animals are kept clean and are well cared for so I’m not sure who or why this would bother anyone in my own back yard. Unless of course the rooster is the problem.

I would like to know if there will be support for a new chicken ordinance in Upland from the residents? Anyone who will support this please write back and I will try and work on getting the subject up for a vote by the city council.
Thanks,
Viktoria

Back
Top Bottom