chicken layed two eggs at 7 months than stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by laurie8960, Jun 20, 2011.

1. laurie8960

laurie8960 New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    I have an Americauna who is now 9 months old. She laid two very small eggs a day apart at 7 months and has not laid another on since.[​IMG] She is acting and eating normal. She still makes the loud noises everyday like she did when she actually laid an egg. Is this common or should I be concerned.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    It is not normal, she may very well be laying internally. You are sure she isn't hiding them?

3. laurie8960

laurie8960 New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    No she is not hiding them. They are in a 300ft diameter fenced area, but I have checked very extensively everyday. I go out when she is making her noise and she is just standing in front of the nesting box, but no egg. As I mentioned she is eating and drinking well. She is my lizard eater and she is still fast enough to catch the lizards. She is one of four of the youngest chicken in the group and the bottom of the pecking order. Could the stress of being low woman on the totem pole turned off the egg laying???

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Stress can turn off the egg laying, but generally when they are stressed and not laying they do not sing the egg song in front of the nest...

I wish I had a more positive answer for you. I don't know that there is anything you can do for her if she seems happy and healthy otherwise.

5. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    My EE laid her first egg at 6 months old on 2-2-11, then on 2-5-11 and then on 2-11-11 and then just stopped. I didn't know why but she was healthy and acting normal. Her next egg did not come until March 21st.

She laid 5 days straight and then laid on and off every other day. She has done this since. Some weeks she lays every day and then takes a week off. I am guessing this is her "normal" routine.

Maybe your gal will be like that? Keep us posted.

I keep an excel spreadsheet on each my gals. (1st squat, egg weight and date laid) I only have 8 gals who are laying at the moment. DH thinks I am crazy for doing this but it helps me know what is going on with them.

Josephine
    [​IMG]

J's egg on far right
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  6. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Has it been very hot where your at, because mine don't lay when it gets into the 90s, all the water they drink goes to keep them hydrated.Why Aren't My Chickens Laying? Here Are Your Answers check out this post it might help ya. its a sticky at the top of this forum.

7. laurie8960

laurie8960 New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    to Mama Hen Chris your girl looks just like mine the one I am posting about. I am going to assume that she has a spuratic laying pattern. She is very healthy, active and happy (besides the picking on) so I will not worry. The two eggs she did lay were extremely small more like quail eggs. Thanks for all the feedback.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by