Chicken laying completely shell-less egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Espex, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Espex

Espex New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    All of the shell-less egg pictures I can find still have a skin holding together the egg, but my chicken just popped out an egg yolk and white with nothing holding them together. This is possibly the second time this has happened over one or two days. None of the other 4 chickens has had a problem like this recently, although one lays very bumpy eggs. She currently gone back to lying in the nesting box again. The chickens are about 2 years old.

Is this just a diet issue that might resolve itself or something else?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Luvmy9hens

Luvmy9hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I just went through the same thing this past week and nearly $600.00 later due to 3 days in the vet hospital, my sweet baby Ellie (15 months) is back home again after nearly dying from egg peritonitis. She laid a shell-less egg on Tuesday evening (11/26). What is her current health/behavior, and what is/has her diet been?

While it could be a "fluke", it could also be a death sentence for your hen. Watch her carefully for any unusual behavior including hiding, fluffed up feathers, lethargy, avoiding food (but drinking), watery crop due to excess drinking, abnormal droppings, and stooped posture with lowered tail. If she is experiencing ANY of the above, she needs treatment. I will be starting a new post detailing my experience and the outcome.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...hells-and-other-egg-problems-causes-and-cures

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  4. Espex

Espex New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    Half an hour after I posted this, she got out of the nesting box and was scratching around like normal, I didn't notice anything different this morning either. I'll keep an eye out and see if she is eating normally. Thanks for the heads up, that sounds terrifying.

5. Espex

Espex New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    @flockwatcher The hens have had an occasional shell-less egg with a rubbery outside before, but this was the first time I've had one completely without a shell. Thanks for the link, it might be a disturbance, there has been a cat meowing loudly at night recently that might wake them up

@Luvmy9hens Half an hour after I posted this, she got out of the nesting box and was scratching around like normal, I didn't notice anything different this morning either. I'll keep an eye out and see if she is eating normally. Thanks for the heads up, that sounds terrifying.

6. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I am very happy to hear that she is doing fine and acting normally. She should pass the "rubbery" shell so do not be alarmed if you find something unusual. Just keep watch as you are doing:)

7. Espex

Espex New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    I've been watching her closely now. She is still scratching around like normal, but occasionally spends a bit of time just standing with her neck a little bit tucked in. Also, her tail is parallel to the ground.

8. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    PLEASE remember that birds hide their illness VERY well. By the time WE notice that they are not acting as they normally behave, they are often in VERY bad shape. Since Ellie has been released from veterinary care, she does NOT stand still and does not tuck her neck in at all. her tail is always pointed up. The postures that you have mentioned may indicate that she is not necessarily in perfect health. A few days have passed. How is she doing today?

9. Espex

Espex New Egg

Dec 1, 2013
    Her posture is still the same, I'm not sure if she is still standing still sometimes. I'm planning to call a vet and get a checkup for her one the weekend is over, since she still hasn't passed any pieces of egg. Her eating is fine though.

10. Luvmy9hens

Sep 26, 2012
    Upstate NY
    My little hen went back to the vet on Thursday for another injection of calcium and Baytril. She woke up early Thursday morning and laid an egg with a very thin shell. The process took a lot out of her and her posture was similar to that of your hen. I am worried that she will deplete her own body of calcium as she tries to produce more eggs :( Hopefully, she will be ok. The vet said that Ellie gained 20 grams in a week!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by