chicken laying down on cold ground?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dftkarin, Dec 5, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I have 4 chickens that hatched on 7/9/08 and I live in New England with no added light in my coop (and there are not many hours of light these days) so I kind of figure my chickens might not start laying until the days get longer in the spring. I'm new to chicken-ownership. This morning when I let them out of the coop one barred rock kept sitting on the cold ground - sort of like she was pooping, but she was on the ground - almost the way I imagine a chicken might look if there were laying an egg (not that I've ever seen a chicken lay an egg - so what do I know). Should I worry? The ground was cold and frozen-muddy and if she was going to really start laying - wouldn't she try in the privacy of the coop (where I have a little sidewards milkcrate-size box to make for a cozy spot)? Could she be constipated or something? Why would a chicken start laying on her tummy on the ground like that (not the contented napping-in-the-sun type settling down)?

2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Chickens feet get cold.. they warm thier feet by either holding one foot up at a time to tuck it under thier warm feathers.. or they will lay down to warm them. This is natural and will continue untill the weather warms up.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. I saw several of my girls laying on the ground in between the branches of the fig tree today. Just warming up the underside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by