Chicken laying down to scratch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus, Aug 9, 2011.

1. BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus

BoutrosBoutrosGalusGalus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    san jose
    Hi, I picked up a 4 week old that someone was giving away on craigslist today and its real friendly but scratches oddly.

I made a video for you to see. Anything wrong or is it just a kooky chicken?

2. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Give her some soft dirt to scratch in, and she will be tossing it all over herself... They love rolling around scratching dirt. Even a dishpan of sand works... Chicken TV!!!

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:X2 or some mulch [​IMG]

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Yup, that looks like she is trying out her dirt bathing skills. Scares the heck out of you the first time you see them do it.

5. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Mine were doing that today... my roo and his two favorite girls were being absolutely nutty. They were rolling all over, fluffing each other, digging in the dirt. Can't help but love them! [​IMG]

6. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Dust bath!!! Give them dirt, pine shavings, anything! My White Leghorn LOVES to dust bath in mud, every once in a while, she will show up at my back door, her perfectly white feathers caked in mud, dirt under layers of her white feathers. It's soooooo funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by