Chicken laying eggs AND CROWING like a ROOSTER!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sallyschickens, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Sallyschickens

Sallyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Puget Sound Baby!
    This has actually happened to another chicken I had before. She was a black frizzle that was getting beat up by her peeps at the coop I had next to my barn in the country. So I brought her home (at the time was downtown Houston) so she could re-coop-erate in my backyard. She did relax and grew back her feathers and just kind of became the house bird. She laid an egg per day and then out of the blue began crowing, like a rooster. I assumed this was her way to becon a friend. After we sold our house I gave her to my mother who had a few chickens. They just hung out on her acre-big garden. Mom says she hasn't crowed since.

Now I have 3 adult chickens all proven layers...no boys here. Well one of them began crowing this morning.

Does anyone know why she (and my other one) crow? Do I have to break down and get them a roo? Is that what they want?

All three are in a large, screened-in yard about 25X25 with a covered coop.

Thanks for your input.

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    They do that sometimes when there is no roo.

We have a bantam cochin that does sometimes.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    My (superstitious) great grandma had a hen like that one time. We were outside playing and all of a sudden, that hen crowed. It wasn't a rooster-like crow, but it was close. Grandma promptly got up and rang the hen's neck. We are torn to pieces! She explained to us that a crowing hen is bad luck and that if you hear one somebody in your family will die in a week. Weird.

4. Sallyschickens

Sallyschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Puget Sound Baby!
    O.k. thank you.

I wasn't too worried about it, but is nice to know that there are other hen-crowers out there! Harmless then...good!

(As far as I know nobody died the last time my frizzle did that. LOL)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by