chicken laying first egg in the house?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by monsterdog7, Aug 9, 2013.

1. monsterdog7

monsterdog7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2013
    Connecticut
    I have 4 barred rock hens that should be laying right about now. They all come up on the stoop to visit with me when I let the dogs out & today "Red" was really curious about the open door. I just decided to let her in. She was acting weird, like she was looking for a safe place to lie down. I made a quick nest box out of a milk crate and she went right in and won't leave it. She's panting now and made funny noises when I got too close. Am I going to get my 1st egg right next to the fridge? That's convenient! Could it be something else that makes her want to be in a box inside? Like sickness? Thanks for any help!

2. monsterdog7

Jun 1, 2013
    Connecticut
    now she's squaking a bunch but everything else is still the same. no egg

3. monsterdog7

Jun 1, 2013
    Connecticut
    OK, she did it! Red layed her 1st egg! Right next to the fridge. Ha ha ha[​IMG]

4. rojororeo

rojororeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Ha! That is awesome! I wish my chickens were people friendly enough for that!
    The panting is so odd, isn't it? I thought it was heat, but it does def. seem to be lay related as well!
    Congrats!

5. monsterdog7

Jun 1, 2013
    Connecticut
    well, just the barred rocks are friendly. the rest, 5 unknowns, are pretty skittish but hopefully they'll come around as they get older. Thanks for the reply and congrats. i think the panting is normal...? it makes sense to me, pushing something that size out of such a small body must take a little effort!

6. rojororeo

May 14, 2013
    Hehe, exactly! I am sure it is normal- think of us poor humans lol.
    My chickens I got all as 3ish-5ish month olds. They were scaredy cat nutballs- running and fence climbing when I was near. Now, while I can't pick anyone up readily, I do have to be careful to not step on them as they crowd me begging worse than any dog I have ever owned! I even have a couple that let me pet them while they eat the scratch I give them. I don't think they will ever be sit in my lap tame, but that is okay...in the future I will start with brooders :)
    Congrats again! Hopefully you didn't set up a trend of the little BR knocking on the door for her nest box!

7. monsterdog7

Jun 1, 2013
    Connecticut
    Well, I don't have anyone knocking at my door. Just scratching, flapping, & rushing to get in! My husband is not very excited about it. We got her a new nesting box that I put right on the steps. She's not very excited about that. She is in it right now though.

8. rojororeo

May 14, 2013
    Too cute still. :) That would be too cool to have them nest on the porch... aside from the poop!

9. monsterdog7

Jun 1, 2013
    Connecticut
    I just can't believe she's so comfy there! My dogs are around, there's cars on the road, she only gets upset when another chick comes to check her out! It's strange.

10. monsterdog7

Jun 1, 2013
    Connecticut
    Ok, now I have another BR hen that just can't get comfortable anywhere. My husband is going to kill me but I felt bad and let this one in too. Unfortunately, no nesting box is good enough. I finally just sat down in a chair with her on my lap. She's going to sleep now. She's been like this for 2 or 3 days. Could she be egg bound? I don't feel anything in there but I can't ever feel puppies in a dog that's obviously pregnant either. I think my brain just doesn't connect with my hands too well.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by