Chicken laying habits (weird to me!!!!)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Randhawa chickens, May 21, 2011.

1. Randhawa chickens

Randhawa chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Australia
    Hi all
    Now I know that this may seem weird but I know how chickens usually start laying in a certain routine, but mine seem to be a bit different as they lay according to the weather, they lay different if it's cloudy, sunny, raining, really hot, really cold they lay in different orders for all types of weather,
    Any ideas why.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, it takes about 26 hours to "build" an egg. (19 hours of it is spent laying down the shell!) So, if a hen or pullet lays an egg around 7 a.m. one day, if she is a daily layer, the next egg will come around 9 a.m. the following day, and it progresses from there until it's too late to lay that day. So they skip a day and start the cycle over. That's just an example, of course.

Next, any upset can put them off laying. A storm. A predator making noise in the night. Adding a new chicken to the flock. Moving a nest box or anything IN the coop. It could be something entirely different than just regular changes in weather, but you just weren't aware of it.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My free-ranging birds most consistent in respect to 26-hour interval in respect to laying eggs. This is despite being chased by occasional predator and being wholed up waiting for storm to pass. My confined birds are much more variable. I think a milder stressor has more affect when birds confined which can thus interfere more with egg production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by