1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken laying. Help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ms~Silkie~Girl, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    what age do heavy breed chickens start laying eggs?

2. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    I'm pretty new myself but from what I've read on here...depends on a lot of variables.

How much light in winter
    Temperature
    Protein content of their food...free rangers seem to lay earlyish

And the answer I've heard the most is: they lay when they're darn good and ready.

I hope they get with the program soon for you. I'm two months behind you but I'm hoping somebody starts popping eggs out by May.[​IMG]

3. Silkiemama

Silkiemama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    S.E. Ohio
    Isn't about 6 months old considered to be the average laying age?

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In my case, it was when they were ready and all of them weren't ready at the same time.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depends on the breed and the individual bird.
    One of my LF brahma pullets started laying at 19 weeks old (almost 5 months old). The last two of my brahma pullets to lay were 38 weeks old (9 & 1/2 months old).
    All raised together since hatch. Just goes to show chickens are individuals, just like the rest of us. [​IMG]

6. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    I dont have the chickens yet but i am getting them in a couple weeks so im trying to learn a lot about them

7. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    6 months is correct.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] My first heavy breed chicken started laying at 17 weeks most of the rest between 20 and 23 weeks. The lastest was 27 weeks. I recently had one of my pullets start laying and she was 17 weeks also. My pullets are 20 weeks. My older girls are 2 yrs old. I think in another day or two, more pullets will start to lay. They are showing all of the signs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by