Chicken laying inconsistently - soft - regular - double yokes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by myskydolphin, Oct 9, 2013.

1. myskydolphin

myskydolphin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2013
    Northern California
    I have one Leghorn in my flock that has been laying for about a month now. However, she has had some issues with laying consistent eggs. I have had many soft eggs that are broken by the time I get out to the coop. Usually a day of soft shell , then a day of small but good hard shell, then maybe another softie then a double yoker. I have also seen two soft eggs that seem connected somewhat on the same day. I have all brown egg layers except this one Leghorn so I am positive its just the one hen. I feed good layer pellet that includes oyster shell, I also supplement with a second select of oyster shell. They get plenty of protein, fruits and veggie but their main staple is the layer feed. All hens are happy, healthy and doing well. The other layers give consistent fully formed and hardened egg shelled eggs. I can't figure this girl out. She is young - just 6 months old. So, I understand that in the beginning there are some issues, but I've done my best to help regulate to no avail.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. TNchickies

TNchickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    wow! poor girlie! well, one of my hens also had some trouble with soft ones, hard ones, small ones, big ones, and then double yokes. I just gave her some time, made sure she was eating plenty of bugs, (bugs are GREAT for proteins and vitamins), and made sure she had plenty of protein in her diet. (protein is extremely necessary for good eggs). oyster shell is a great idea, but if she doesn't have enough protein, it may not help all the way. I hope that you will feed her some bugs or something with good protein. I hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggproblems.html
    With young layers a range of odd eggs and inconstancy is pretty common, especially with the commercial birds, it is usually just because of their age. They are working on getting their egg laying system into gear. Hopefully she will straighten out with time. There are a list of other causes, but with only one hen doing it, I would think it is related to her age and breed, not dietary or disease related. I would not have her under lights, and would try to reduce any stress on her as much as possible, since Leghorns tend to be a nervous breed.

4. myskydolphin

Sep 8, 2013
    Northern California
    Thank you for you input! We just expanded their 'free range' zone and dug up some dirt, watered it and up came the worms. The girls were super happy about that!! I also have a compost bin that I frequently dig up big juicy worms and bugs from. I've also started laying wood out flat for a few days then lifting for the girls to have their yummy favorites ;-) I will continue with the oyster shell and be sure they all get plenty of protein. When she does lay a "good egg" they are beautiful inside and out. Nice plump yokes, really good color and shells that are smooth and firm. I will just keep watching her and hopefully nature will take over in a more positive way. I just feel bad for her that she is laying these softies that get all squished - they bring ants into their laying boxes and I am concerned that if we don't get it figured out it could lead to troubles like being egg bound. :-(

5. myskydolphin

Sep 8, 2013
    Northern California
    No lights and everyone including this gal seem happy. She even comes to me now. She is a bit of a ding bat compared to the other girls, but she is coming around and gets along with everyone. Thank you for the links. I will check them out as well.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by