Chicken Laying...info

Chicken7777

Songster
13 Years
Oct 10, 2008
North Jersey
Hello everyone, Well I knew one day i would have to come to this section of the forum and ask about egg laying because I think my chickens should start laying eggs very soon...i hope.

My chickens are going to be five months old on the 5th of April, the thing is that i wanted to know what is the exact time that chickens can start to lay. I know they can start to lay anywhere from four to eight months...am i correct? Is there a way to help them ease egg laying? What should i know now that they are mature to start laying eggs soon? Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

i have one Golden Sex link, one red sex link, one EE, and one White rock that will hopefully soon give me eggs...

Thank you very much!

Your sex links will probably begin to lay first (and possibly anytime now)- they are bred for that, I believe. The others will begin to lay anywhere from 6 months on, in my experience.

The Rock, I believe, is an early maturing bird, so will probably lay before the EE - depends on what the EE has in it's ancestry.

not much help,
lau.gif
sorry.

meri

My chickens are 23 1/2 weeks old now and started laying 12 days ago at 22 weeks. The 2 barred rocks were first, then one of my EEs, and then the 2 leghorns (I had thought the leghorns would have been the first to lay). I still have 5 chickens not laying, including a production red.

20 hens i got from back in october i am getting one egg a day, and its kiiiiiilllllllinnnnnggggg me, these darn chooks better start with the eggs or I am gonna wear a hole in the gravel path going out to check on them, another kinda weird thing is the one which is laying does it right after lunch or after 3 ????

I know it will happen but waiting is driving me nuts!!

I have 4 Buff-orps. They are 24 weeks. Two lay. One of the others is getting a red comb now and one is still not. I think every chick matures different. There is no set time. Light, I know does play a part in it. When the days increase in length so the laying will start. I am impatient too. I want 6 eggs a day just once. I have two brahma hens that already lay. Jean

Thank you for the help guys! I was asking this because I was reading of someones chickens already laying and were born after a date mines were born and it makes me think.....What IS going on with my chickens..I want eggs too!

Well I guess its all a waiting game...Mines have started clucking like crazy recently. It has been going on like that for about two weeks recently only.

Well please let me know if you guys have anymore stories to share or any experiences with your laying hens...or playing the waiting game..

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom