Chicken laying on coop floor

loracarroll

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2018
Ontario, Canada
How do I get the chickens to lay their eggs in the nesting boxes? Only one out of our five Ameraucanas has started to lay, and she’s making a nest on the coop floor...

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
How do I get the chickens to lay their eggs in the nesting boxes? Only one out of our five Ameraucanas has started to lay, and she’s making a nest on the coop floor...
Can you post pictures of your setup?
It a nutshell, chickens want a safe, dim, secure, cozy spot that is easy to access to lay their eggs. If your nest boxes are lacking in these features, they may choose a location they feel is more appropriate.

loracarroll

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Can you post pictures of your setup?
It a nutshell, chickens want a safe, dim, secure, cozy spot that is easy to access to lay their eggs. If your nest boxes are lacking in these features, they may choose a location they feel is more appropriate.
Thank you. When opening the door to the coop, the nesting boxes are right there on the left - we leave the coop door open all day. She is laying in a corner where it is more secluded. Maybe I can make some nesting boxes in that area for her. Or build a privacy wall...which would be best, as our current nesting boxes have a an outdoor lid you can lift, to access the eggs...

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
Put some fake eggs in those nests....and a bucket in the corner where she's laying.
It can take up to a month or so for them to get things straightened out.

Top Bottom