Chicken laying soft shelled eggs watery poop

SLK

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2019
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Easter Egger, 2 year old, not sure on weight, but she's really skinny right now
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She layed a couple eggs without shells starting about a week ago. After the second one I noticed her butt was really messy. I separated her from the others (I have two other birds that aren't exhibiting any other symptoms) and have been treating for vent gleet. She's layed a couple soft shelled eggs, at night from the perch which isn't normal for her, but they do seem to be getting better than the two completely shell-less eggs with the last one having the strongest shell since this started. Her poop is mostly liquid with some rabbit pellet looking bits.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
About a week
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) I there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Some blood has been present but only when she lays an egg.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She was startled by something a few days before it started, I went out to the run and she calmed down pretty quickly. We've had some wild turkeys wandering around that I think might have been what startled her. It has also been fairly hot a few days.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She is drinking normally, I have put Rooster Booster in her water. She is eating, but it seems less than normal and doesn't seem that interested in her normal layer pellets. I am currently offering her flock raiser. She readily eats meal worms and other treats when offered. Grit and oyster shell are available for her at all times. I know she's eaten some of the oyster shell.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Mostly clearish liquid with rabbit pellet looking bits.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Been using monistat to treat for vent gleet for a couple days. There seems to be less white discharge from her vent, but I'm still concerned about the other problems.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I haven't found a vet I can take her to locally, so I'm doing what I can on my own right now. Still looking into vets that will see her.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Picture of what it looked like under the perch this morning. Blood is only present when she lays an egg.
Sadie.jpg
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Originally she was in an Omlet Eglu tractor outside on the lawn. I put her in a smaller coop with woodshavings in the barn when I separated her from the others.

Anything else I can do to help her get back to normal and gain some weight back? I have Safe Guard but haven't given it to her yet since I've not seen any evidence of any parasites. Would you recommend treating her anyway?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Photos of the vent?

Discharge yeasty or like egg?
I haven't gotten a picture of her vent since she's not the most docile, I'll try tomorrow though. The discharge is definitely white and yeasty. Not at all egg like. The liquid under the perch in the morning is watery, and not egg-like either. Her crop was full tonight, I'll try to check tomorrow to make sure it's emptying.

@Wyorp Rock has more experience than I but will add my 2-cents

Thinking it's stress and possible heat/climate related. She maybe drinking more water than eating, hence the watery poop. I don't feed layer, Flock Raiser (higher in protein) which I ferment with grit/oyster shells free feed, never had an issue with shells. Try getting her to eat more, MW good but what other kind of treats?
Try wetting the FR, making a mash/oatmeal consistency, MW, scrambled eggs or boiled egg yolk, tuna, kale, even moisten dry cat food ... no lettuce
Crush some Tums or Calcium tablets and see if you can get her to eat or crush fine & add to her feed for a few days.
Think you got 2 issues happening; she's not eating possible due to stress from heat and/or whatever startled her. Were the others affected? Other issue is her lack having shell issues possible due to age/stress.

Just my thoughts waiting to see what more @Wyorp Rock has to say.
@aart @azygous @Eggcessive @Kiki

If the discharge is white and yeasty, then treat for Vent Gleet.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying. Sometimes a sour crop accompanies vent gleet.
Thanks. How long should I continue to treat for Vent gleet? Until symptoms are gone? It seems there is less discharge every day, but there was still some last night. Her crop does seem to be emptying. Can vent gleet cause egg problems as well? Or is that more likely something else going on?

Back
Top Bottom