Chicken laying soft

ProChickens

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2021
Australia
Hey so, I have a green egg layer chicken and lately, I've seen her laying soft/shell-less eggs. Does anyone know why this is happening, all my other chickens are laying okay. I have a couple of theories why she isn't laying hard eggs, 1. recently one of our other chickens passed away this could be due to stress/sadness, 2. she also has poop on her feathers at the back of her, she is pooping normal round poop and sometimes runny poo, this could be the reason. Another thing it could be is not having enough calcium, please let me know.

cavemanrich

Addict
7 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
Another thing it could be is not having enough calcium, please let me know.
This is many times the reason. What are you feeding your chickens??
One easy way to correct insufficient calcium,,, is to offer cracked oyster shells free-choice. Another way and readily available is,,,,,, offer all your egg shells back to your hens.. I do this also. :thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

CKfarm22

Songster
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Hey so, I have a green egg layer chicken and lately, I've seen her laying soft/shell-less eggs. Does anyone know why this is happening, all my other chickens are laying okay. I have a couple of theories why she isn't laying hard eggs, 1. recently one of our other chickens passed away this could be due to stress/sadness, 2. she also has poop on her feathers at the back of her, she is pooping normal round poop and sometimes runny poo, this could be the reason. Another thing it could be is not having enough calcium, please let me know.
Try offering some free choice oyster shells. Most likely is not getting enough calcium… but if that doesn’t work then at least you ruled one thing out

ProChickens

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2021
Australia
This is many times the reason. What are you feeding your chickens??
One easy way to correct insufficient calcium,,, is to offer cracked oyster shells free-choice. Another way and readily available is,,,,,, offer all your egg shells back to your hens.. I do this also. :thumbsup

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Try offering some free choice oyster shells. Most likely is not getting enough calcium… but if that doesn’t work then at least you ruled one thing out

Hey, thank you for your response! I will also try trimming some of the poop on her feathers. I feed my chickens just Barastoc Golden Yolk pellets you get from the shops, I do also sometimes give them some food scraps for them. I do put shell grit inside of their pellets, should I try to put it in a separate bowl. Do oyster shells, shell grit, and offering the chickens shells back do the same things?

I'm from Australia by the way, I'll let you know how trimming feathers go, and please message me back!

CKfarm22

Songster
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Hey, thank you for your response! I will also try trimming some of the poop on her feathers. I feed my chickens just Barastoc Golden Yolk pellets you get from the shops, I do also sometimes give them some food scraps for them. I do put shell grit inside of their pellets, should I try to put it in a separate bowl. Do oyster shells, shell grit, and offering the chickens shells back do the same things?

I'm from Australia by the way, I'll let you know how trimming feathers go, and please message me back!
So first, the Barastoc Golden yolk is only 15% protein, they need much more than that. This food is also a “layer feed” most of time being new to chicken keeping, you get layer feed because that’s what chickens do, lay eggs. But you have to look at how much protein is in the food. I did this too, my chickens were on 16% layer feed and then i switched to a 20% flock raiser feed because it has more protein in it, which is what they need.

By shell grit do you mean chick grit? Or something else?

Oyster shells and giving them their egg shells back crushed up are for calcium to help with strong egg shells.

I recommend trying to switch their feed to a flock raiser feed that has 20% protein (not sure what you have in australia) and have oyster shells on the side in a separate feeder so they can pick at it when they need it!

cavemanrich

Addict
7 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
Adding the oyster shells, egg shells, and grit into the feed pellets is just fine. You will notice that some of these may be left behind when chickens pick out the feed pellets. That is just natural, and normal. Chickens do know what to choose. Just add more feed to the bowl next day,,, and when all the oyster shells are gone,,,, whenever that occurs,,, just throw in another spoon full.

You can also soak and give your chickens a warm water bath to remove the caked on poop.

ProChickens

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2021
Australia
Adding the oyster shells, egg shells, and grit into the feed pellets is just fine. You will notice that some of these may be left behind when chickens pick out the feed pellets. That is just natural, and normal. Chickens do know what to choose. Just add more feed to the bowl next day,,, and when all the oyster shells are gone,,,, whenever that occurs,,, just throw in another spoon full.

You can also soak and give your chickens a warm water bath to remove the caked on poop.

Thank you, I will get onto that after my school.

CKfarm22

Songster
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ

Also you can add your location to your account by going to your account and click “account details” and scrolling down a little until you find “location” so that this way if you have any other questions people know where you are to give you the right details

Attachments

• 972EFAEA-DBBC-4BC0-981F-C3B2C9067327.jpeg
    972EFAEA-DBBC-4BC0-981F-C3B2C9067327.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 1
  • C026F4F6-1087-4367-8353-E8EDB4CD7284.jpeg
    C026F4F6-1087-4367-8353-E8EDB4CD7284.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 1
Jul 23, 2021
Southern Idaho
I got two of them today. So far, I have had only one pullet laying, but the other three should be ready (all the same age. Three are same breed). Why 2 soft eggs? weird as they were close to each other. They weren't in the nesting box where I have been getting them from my first layer. They have oyster shells available.

cavemanrich

Addict
7 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
I got two of them today. So far, I have had only one pullet laying, but the other three should be ready (all the same age. Three are same breed). Why 2 soft eggs? weird as they were close to each other. They weren't in the nesting box where I have been getting them from my first layer. They have oyster shells available.
Often when chickens start laying eggs,, their reproductive systems are not 100% mature. Usually it shakes out on its own..
I know that oyster shells are not the most delicious calcium supplement,, Try giving all your empty egg shells. Seems my chickens wolf down those first before the oyster shells.

Top Bottom